Iron Curtain 2.0, Water still smells...

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by jgeaney, Jun 10, 2014.

1. jgeaney

jgeaney New Member

Hi Everyone,

I purchased a forclosure in October (2013). There is a Hellenbrand Iron Curtain 2.0 system that was installed when the home was built in 2007. I never met the prior homeowner so I was not able to ask any questions about the maintenance history, or required maintenance. I have read through the Iron Curtain manuals, and have the regeneration set to every six hours to maximize my chances of eliminating the hydrogen sulfide. My water still has a very obvious egg smell.
    The smell is mainly in the cold water, but it also occurs from time to time in the hot water while showering.

Is there a maintenance procedure that I can perform on the system? I would prefer to learn how to maintain the system on my own rather than having someone do it for me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
  2. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

It may be bacteria in the house plumbing after the iron filter.
  3. jgeaney

jgeaney New Member

I had a well water test completed before I purchased the home (mortgage required it) and it came back clean. However I will have to review the results to see what bacteria were tested for.

If there is bacteria in the plumbing, would shocking the system be an appropriate method to kill the bacteria...and hopefully the smell?
  4. Reach4

Reach4 Active Member

It may. I like this procedure: http://www.moravecwaterwells.com/disin_test.htm