insurance

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by ally68, Feb 1, 2005.

1. ally68

ally68 New Member

Question will regular home owners insurance cover damage from leaking or burst pipes and or water heater?

Thanks
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

This is a legal question, SO take any advice you get here with a grain of salt.

The way I understand MY OWN insurance policy, a sudden or catastrophic leak such as a burst pipe or fitting, a burst water heater, etc. is covered. SLOW leaks, such as a drip or minor leak even like a pinhole, which go on for a prolonged period of time and cause possibly enourmous damage which is only discovered later, this is NOT covered.

I advise you to consult with your own insurance agent, and if necessary your lawyer, to determine what you coverage is.
  3. Jimbo is exactly right.
    And I have a real word of caution about trying to collect insurance on a leak.
    There are MAJOR issues with mold due to leaks, and you could find your insurance canceled at some point if you even contact them about it, much less file a claim.
    Mike

http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/eh/indoorair/mold/
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2005