Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by ally68, Feb 1, 2005.

1. ally68

ally68 New Member

Jan 31, 2005
    Question will regular home owners insurance cover damage from leaking or burst pipes and or water heater?

2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Aug 31, 2004
    San Diego
    This is a legal question, SO take any advice you get here with a grain of salt.

The way I understand MY OWN insurance policy, a sudden or catastrophic leak such as a burst pipe or fitting, a burst water heater, etc. is covered. SLOW leaks, such as a drip or minor leak even like a pinhole, which go on for a prolonged period of time and cause possibly enourmous damage which is only discovered later, this is NOT covered.

I advise you to consult with your own insurance agent, and if necessary your lawyer, to determine what you coverage is.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Mike Swearingen

Mike Swearingen New Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Independent Real Estate Broker
    On Albemarle Sound In Northeastern NC
    Jimbo is exactly right.
    And I have a real word of caution about trying to collect insurance on a leak.
    There are MAJOR issues with mold due to leaks, and you could find your insurance canceled at some point if you even contact them about it, much less file a claim.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2005