Instant hot water at the tap. Cheap, fast, efficient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
Instant or almost instant hot water. This is one of many recurring needs, wishes or desires. The pattern emerging is clear.

E.g. a recent post went like this.
greatNewParticipant_namechanged said:
... takes at least... to get hot water at our kitchen faucet. Not bad normally, but when you are trying to heat a bottle up at 3:00 am and the baby is screaming it seems like an eternity...
Let's build a thread that, as a project, answers this ever recurring need, and let's have fun doing it too. Manufacturers might start building the right product too, if we define the need(s) clearly enough. Maybe the site will get another new sponsor. Next year. (For the record, I have no shares in this site or service attached)

Here are some answers, or ideas for answers.

1. a gravity-fed recirculating loop.
2. a pump and a dedicated return line.
3. a pump and the existing cold line as its return line.
4. an under-sink device to produce almost-boiling water on demand.
5. a little container on the wall to heat a quart when you turn its tap.
6. an always-on kettle which keeps water warm only when on standby.
7. a microwave oven to warm milk for babies. :)

The first four options cost a lot of money either to buy or to install.

The next two options are practically never seen.

Decades ago I saw a little glass container on the wall, in Europe, that heated enough water to make tea or instant coco. You turned the little tap and it filled up. You turned the tap off and pressed the power button. Its heating element went on and almost boiled the water in a minute. I guess that makes it a wall-mount kettle, as inexpensive to operate as a kettle. It was mounted over the sink, so that if you overfilled it the spill could more easily go into the sink.

In the last five years I have asked at specialty stores for a kettle that keeps water hot always. One person once told me she used to have a model, but no-one ever bought it. Why was there no demand? I don't know. Maybe I should have nuanced it, by asking for a kettle that would provide not-scalding hot water when "on standby".

david

Last edited:

Norcal1

Plumber/Owner
Reaction score
The problem that I have been running into is that over time the hot water made by those instant hot water dispensers tastes absolutely awful, not to mention sediment that comes out of them.

If the manufacturers could make a filter that holds up well to the extreme heat of those little heaters then maybe people would start buying them.

I've removed several sink mount instant hot water dispensers just in the last couple of months because the customers can't stand the taste of the water.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I installed a insinkerator insta hot a few years ago that became defective immediately after the warranty. The tech that came out gave some great info regarding these units and if I find the email I'll post it.

<FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Based on your advice I opted for the service call on the leaking hot water dispenser. I notified InSinkErator, faxed in the original invoice, and they arranged for a service call no questions asked. Service tech showed up with new box in hand and installed the box, once again no questions asked. Not knowing what the new unit looked like, I asked him about the expected life of the box. He informed me that InSinkErator had replaced the old, flawed design (separate top, bottom and side walls) with a one-piece stainless steel unit which should have a long life. If you have not seen the new box, it is real sweet. It even has a large, easily accessible knob on the front of the box to change the temperature setting. So, I would not hesitate to recommend the new design to others.

Last edited:

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Geniescience.... the "always on kettle" is more or less like trying to reinvent the wheel... Bunn coffeemakers have been doing that for years. We've got one ..just pour in cold water and immediately hot water comes out unlike the Mr. Coffee which spits out the same water that you pour in and takes a while to do it. BTW... you don't get one for the price of a Mr. Coffee either... ours is about 10 years old and sold for about $150 back then....and it still works like new. We would have gone thru at least one of the "el cheapo's" every year or two...and would have had to wait a heck of alot longer for a pot of coffee...now it takes us maybe 2-3 minutes to get a full 12 cup pot of coffee. We also use it just to get hot water for tea.

Last edited:

Mr. Paul

Reaction score
Solution For Faster Hot Water

I highly recommend the “Hot Water Lobster Instant Hot Water Valveâ€. We’ve successfully installed several of these hot water recirculation valves. Installation is about 15-minutes (not requiring any pipe cutting, soldering or electrical connections). Our customers love them…delivering hot water in about 6-seconds!
Instant or almost instant hot water. This is one of many recurring needs, wishes or desires. The pattern emerging is clear.

E.g. a recent post went like this. Let's build a thread that, as a project, answers this ever recurring need, and let's have fun doing it too. Manufacturers might start building the right product too, if we define the need(s) clearly enough. Maybe the site will get another new sponsor. Next year. (For the record, I have no shares in this site or service attached)

Here are some answers, or ideas for answers.

1. a gravity-fed recirculating loop.
2. a pump and a dedicated return line.
3. a pump and the existing cold line as its return line.
4. an under-sink device to produce almost-boiling water on demand.
5. a little container on the wall to heat a quart when you turn its tap.
6. an always-on kettle which keeps water warm only when on standby.
7. a microwave oven to warm milk for babies. :)

The first four options cost a lot of money either to buy or to install.

The next two options are practically never seen.

Decades ago I saw a little glass container on the wall, in Europe, that heated enough water to make tea or instant coco. You turned the little tap and it filled up. You turned the tap off and pressed the power button. Its heating element went on and almost boiled the water in a minute. I guess that makes it a wall-mount kettle, as inexpensive to operate as a kettle. It was mounted over the sink, so that if you overfilled it the spill could more easily go into the sink.

In the last five years I have asked at specialty stores for a kettle that keeps water hot always. One person once told me she used to have a model, but no-one ever bought it. Why was there no demand? I don't know. Maybe I should have nuanced it, by asking for a kettle that would provide not-scalding hot water when "on standby".

david

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks