Installing threaded tub spout - need help

Users who are viewing this thread

BrentH

Civil Engineer
Reaction score
Everyone - I have a dilemma,

I have a threaded tub spout that I will be installing after I finish tiling my tub surround. After I finished all my plumbing for the new shower valve, I screwed on the tub spout to my plumbing to check for leaks. No leaks! As I am unscrewing the tub spout, the inner collar of the spout got unscrewed on to the male end of the plumbing. I think to myself this is no problem and then unscrew the now separate metal collar that threads into the spout off of the male end of the plumbing. It occurred to me that this piece could be situated at varying depths inside the spout depending on what depth is required to get it to seat up flush with the finished wall. I wish I had taken a picture of it while it was out of the spout but I screwed it back in as far as I could which is almost flush but not quite. (Prior to testing for leaks, the collar was seated quite a bit back from flush) The collar has male threads on one end while the other end is flat with a rubber gasket. There is now no way for me to take it out and I am unsure if the spout is going to sit flush when I finally install it again since I was not able to screw it back in as far as it had been before. The reason I think it got backed out of the spout in the first place was the back pressure from the shower when I checked to see if there were leaks in the main shower run.

Whew. Now that you have the synopsis of my problem, I need some help. First of all, am I correct in assuming this collar is meant to vary in depth inside the spout in order to seat up with the finished wall? If so, how do I remove the collar and/or change the depth inside the spout? Im sort of stuck since this collar has threads on the outside as well as the inside which sort or prevents a problem for me to find purchase on it anywhere to unscrew it again. Lastly, does anyone even remotely understand what I am talking about or do I sound like a complete plumbing noob who doesnt know what he is doing?? Thanks in advance for helping me figure this out.

Brent

PS: Slip on tub spouts seem like such a smart idea - and easy, why did anyone ever think these threaded spouts would be a good idea?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
spout

No idea what you are talking about, since the answers to your questions would depend on the make of the spout and how it was constructed. Slip on spouts are not a panacea for preventing leaks, since they have their own problems.

BrentH

Civil Engineer
Reaction score
Hmmm, I'm going to make this a bit simpler. I've attached a picture of my tub spout. It is from a Delta model 1700. The brass threaded core (inner collar) is what I was referring to in my previous post.

I tested the plumbing and when I was satisfied there were no leaks, I took the spout off. There was a tremendous amount of backpressure since I had a cap on the shower head. As a result, when I was screwing off spout, the brass threads came out. When I reinstalled it into the spout, I could not get it to go in as far as it was before.

1) Do the brass threads look like they are located correctly depth wise?
2) Am I correct in thinking the brass collar can vary in depth inside the spout to accommodate for tile thickness and plumbing length so that it will seat up flush with the finished wall?

Attachments

• P7160003.jpg
    P7160003.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 965
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks