Installing a laundry sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Jessel

Reaction score
Hello,

In my basement I have a washing machine that drains into a standpipe. The standpipe has a vent branch that uses a studor mechanical vent.

I'm looking to install a basement sink with a utility sink pump. I'm looking at the type that does not need a vent. I would like to run the washing machine drain into the sink and cap off the standpipe and the studor vent if they are not needed.

The laundry branch is 2" pipe and it tees into the main trunk right as the 4" pipe goes out the building (going to the septic). The center of the 4" pipe leaving the building is about 61" off the floor. The tee to the laundry branch is horizontal. The top of the standpipe is 78" off the floor.

Also, what is the best way to run this line? Do I go up to the ceiling and into the standpipe (leaving the trap), or do I cut out the vertical standpipe (and trap) then just go to the required height and connect to the horizontal line...

Thanks

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
connect it to the 4 inch pipe that is leaving building at 61 inch's put a 4x2 y in with branch on top thats where your pumped waste enters

Jessel

Reaction score
connect it to the 4 inch pipe that is leaving building at 61 inch's put a 4x2 y in with branch on top thats where your pumped waste enters

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the response sorry it took so long to get back to this. I had every intent on getting this project done quickly but it got shelved for a couple weeks.

I didn't follow the advice completely out of fear of cutting into the 4" pipe. The attached pictures show the installation. I think it works and is a reasonable solution for a residence with basement laundry and a septic. The standpipe was reasonable in some respects but the pipe is too high so the washing machine struggles to drain and really having a laundry sink is just really handy. I do plan to get rid of the platform next that was only to limit the work the washing machine had to do.

Anyway, with this I decided to run the sink drain up to the ceiling even though it makes the pump work harder just because of the available real estate... that is with everything that is already attached to the wall it seemed like a decent route for the pipe and allowed me to use standard pipe hangers.

If the pictures seem unsafe or not up to code for any reason don't hesitate to call me out, I'd rather do this again or call in a plumber if its necessary.

Thanks,

Jesse

Attachments

• IMG_20200622_055824244.jpg
    IMG_20200622_055824244.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_20200622_055759273.jpg
    IMG_20200622_055759273.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 162

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I dont know about this type of pump and not needing a vent?. I think its workable , one thing I would avoid are the rubber coupling near the final connection to the 4 inch , looks safe but Id use a glue fitting or a legal fitting . Like a shielded fitting . I thought code required the tie in to the gravity 4 inch to have the wye on its back or rolled up but could be wrong ,it is common practice though.
In a nutshell I would just insure that the coupling is secure however way you choose. And be certain you dont have an open drainage system venting into basement.

Jessel

Reaction score
There is a y fitting to branch off the 4" to 2" it puts the 2" branch horizontal. This was the original standpipe line.

This is the pump. Been using it for a couple days and it does work. I don't know how it compares to anything else. It has an integral float device and theres an anti-backflow valve fitting in the kit on its 1.25 pipe discharge.

A pump requiring a vent would be a problem since the vent stack on the house is on the opposite corner of the house. It would be a lot of pipe to get there but also I think I'd have to cut into a wall to access the plumbing.

Attachments

• IMG_20200622_134308807.jpg
    IMG_20200622_134308807.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 159
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks