Installation of shutoff valves for bathroom vanity - is this a reasonable idea?

Users who are viewing this thread

rinkol

Reaction score
I'm going to renovate the bathroom the ground floor of my 2 story house. I plan to install a new vanity after laying down ceramic tile on the floor. Currently, the the hot and cold water supply lines are constructed using 1/2 inch rigid copper pipe routed through the floor from the basement. There are currently no shutoff valves except for the main water supply. I was thinking of installing a shutoff valve with compression fittings for each supply pipe in the unfinished basement underneath the bathroom. After the renovations are done, I would use flexible piping from the shutoff valves to the faucet. The attraction of this scheme is that I could install the vanity without the existing supply lines being in the way. Is this a reasonable idea?

thanks
Robert

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why don't you run the water pipes up in the wall and come out on either side of the drain? The shut off valves should be under the sink.

rinkol

Reaction score
Why don't you run the water pipes up in the wall and come out on either side of the drain? The shut off valves should be under the sink.

I thought about this, but the wall is over a horizontal beam and there is only the space under the joist for drilling holes up into the bottom of the wall. I suppose I could open up the wall behind the vanity, though I am not enthusiastic about making extra drywall work for myself.

Robert

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Regular or braided supply hoses are not approved for such use, but PEX is. Personally, I would just stub up new copper after the tiling was done, and then the shut-offs can be installed under the sink where they belong.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some vanities do not have a back, so placing and accessing the supply lines if they are in the wall behind are really easy. But, the more common location is in the wall. This may not be a great idea if that is an outside wall and it gets cold in the winter there, so through the floor may be preferred.

If you keep them coming through the floor, you might want to position them close to the wall so you don't take up a lot of space in the vanity. Drill a hole for each supply, set the cabinet down, then install new compression valves on the pipes. Keep in mind, the distance to the faucet for the sink...those hoses that often come attached to the faucets aren't usually long enough unless those supply lines are fairly long, and then, they can be somewhat floppy. Plan accordingly so that it doesn't impact any drawer or drain.

rinkol

Reaction score
Why not leave the water lines as they are and then install compression valves on them after you install the cabinet?

I am not sure on the exact placement of the cabinet and was hoping to experiment with the placement without the plumbing being in the way. I see 2 options - in the corner or shifted by 4 inches. Aside from this, I was hoping to arrange the supply pipes to interfere less with the available space in the cabinet.

Thanks to all those who have responded - there is good information to think about.

Robert

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks