Install Kohler Transpose but faucet is too close

Users who are viewing this thread

Simon Gillbee

Reaction score
I'm in the process of replacing an old commode with a new Kohler Transpose. Seems fairly straightforward... not my first DIY toilet install, but is the first at this location. I carefully verified all the measurements from Kohler. But apparently they missed one: centerline clearance for faucet hookup :(

Whoever built this cabin placed the faucet very close to the centerline of the sewer drop and there's no room to put the toilet in. See picture.

Any tips for rerouting that water supply without tearing out the wall?

Attachments

• 15910680273205227680065061683.jpg
    15910680273205227680065061683.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 168

Simon Gillbee

Reaction score
If you have enough copper. you may be able to sweat a 90 with a vertical valve. possibly stick a piggy back valve on and remove handle off old one

Yeah, I thought about a similar idea... basically make a horizontal zigzag to get the faucet further to the side. I think there's enough copper. But two problems... I've never sweated copper before and this seems like a challenging first time attempt; and the 90 degree would be so close to the wall I'd be afraid of burning the wall surface.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
They make shields that can help and a spray bottle of water can help cool things down. You can't spray the actual part you're soldering, but the wall and area around can be done.

If you're thinking about soldering for the first time, buy some extra fittings and practice. I prefer to use a tinning flux...it has some powdered solder in the flux that, once it starts to melt, you know the fitting is hot enough to add your solder to complete the joint. It is important to reexpand the end of the pipe that happens when you use a tubing cutter and you must get both the pipe and the fitting well cleaned before starting the process. If the existing valve is soldered on rather than a compression fitting, once you heat it up and pull it off, while the solder is still molton, you need to use a cotton or other non-synthetic cloth to wipe away the excess so the new fitting will fit over it.

You may have a friend that could help that has some more experience. You might be able to do this all with compression fittings so no soldering is required, depending on how the existing valve is attached.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks