Kohler Veil Installation Questions and Tips

Users who are viewing this thread

Tommy5420

Reaction score
In the middle of installing the first one of these and wanted to reach out with a question as well as a few tips learned thus far...

Has anyone installed one of these before and have any tips or pointers? So far it's been pretty straightforward with only 2-3 issues. The first 2 are heads ups to anyone installing in the future. The third is one I"m looking for suggestions on.

First is that Kohler has published sets of directions with 2 different rough in dimensions for the waste outlet. One shows 4" from front face of stud to waste pipe CL, while the other shows 3-3/4". Kohler's tech center confirmed that 3-3/4" is the correct dimension.

Second is that they list this as requiring a 2x6 wall, but when you add up the dimensions of the waste pipe and set back, you end up with 5-9/16" (not taking into account the O.D. of waste piping or couplings). We've gotten around it by putting in a 2x8 wall at the section where the toilet is installed, but not everyone has that option.

Third, and the item I was hoping for suggestions on is Kohler doesn't provide a require rough in waste outlet pipe size. The waste elbow supplied with the unit has a 3-9/16" O.D. and has 3 sealing flap rings integrally cast into it (I'll try to post a picture later). It's too large to fit into 3" PVC pipe or fittings and too small to fit into 4" PVC fittings (I'm going to try 4" pipe later and will advise if that works). Any suggestions from someone who has had success installing one?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks