install buried pipe, pine needles

Users who are viewing this thread

Qwertyjjj

Reaction score
We have a small problem with the water from the downspout being released too close to the house and would idealy like to take it all further away.
A buried pipe seems like a good idea but I'm wondering how they would cope with freezing winters and also one side of the house gets many pine needles in the gutter - is it possible these could clog up the buried pipe?

How to Extend a Downspout | This Old House

Qwertyjjj

Reaction score
You install the pipe so all the water drains out so it CANNOT freeze. you have to filter out the needles before they get in to the pipe.
Some ice and snow melts when the sun shines on it and could refreeze?
What's best to stop pine needles? We get quite heavy rain in summer so I'm worried that the thin covers won;t let enough rain water through...

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Some ice and snow melts when the sun shines on it and could refreeze?
What's best to stop pine needles? We get quite heavy rain in summer so I'm worried that the thin covers won;t let enough rain water through...

Slope your proposed line in such a way that any melted ice water is going to drain away.
For the needles, a screen will do the job, and you will need to clean it on a regular basis.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Sloping the drain won't stop it from freezing. There will be times when the underground portion will be below freezing and the there will be melt on the roof. It causes the ice to built up in layers like waxing a candle.
I ran roof de-icer cable through mine and wired it to a switch.
The pine needles will flush through in a heavy rain. The needles are much more likely to clog up in the downspout elbows.

Qwertyjjj

Reaction score
I was planning on having the last few feet of the pipe empty into a buried rock and gravel area but if pine needles get to that, they might clog everything up?

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; they might clog everything up?

What do you mean "might" if they arrive at your pit and CANNOT get out of the pipe they will DEFINITELY clog it up, and do a good job of it in the process.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
My underground pipes break to the surface where the land drops off. I see lots of leaf and twig debris after heavy rains.

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
Instead of running the downspout directly into a buried pipe, have it drain into a catch basin (search the box store Web sites for examples) which discharges into an underground pipe. Needles, leaves, etc., accumulate in the sump of the catch basin, and the basin can be cleaned periodically to remove any residue.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
What's best to stop pine needles?

Cutting the trees down works very good for stopping pine needles.

They are probably drinking a lot of water, and they sound very close to the house. But they may be helping you.

A Rain Barrel is something you may want to consider.

Good Luck on your project.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks