inspector's class

Users who are viewing this thread

Got_Nailed

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
We do water test on all waste lines and vent lines. I have never had to put up a10 footer off the top of the house.

The fresh water is 70 pounds. I have always run mine up to about 80.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
got_nailed said:
We do water test on all waste lines and vent lines. I have never had to put up a10 footer off the top of the house.

The fresh water is 70 pounds. I have always run mine up to about 80.
I have..we'd fill the whole house till the water is coming out the stack vent coupled to another temporary length (the inspector was a pain)...leave it slowly coming out for the inspector to see. And bite oput nails hoping none of the plugs popped. (hell of a good test for the roof flage too)
Water ...70lbs?
You mean a cubic ft? (62.3)
It's read in psi...0.434 psi = 1 foot in height...multiply by ten (for ten feet of head) and thats where the 5psi test gauge pressure figure comes from (4.34 psi rounded up for good measure)
If you can't get the water up to ten feet...just cap off the roof vent wioth a dollar plug and pressurize it with the gauge tied in. (aquastatic)

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
I guess a plumbing inspector without a license is about the same as an incompetent inspector who got the job because he had a license and some pull. Just something ya gotta deal with. However, it still kinda rankles. In Illinois you can't inspect without a license.

Cookie

Reaction score
JW Electric,

Were there classes you had to take beforehand? The course load for Inspecting, I imagine you will be trained on code, but what are some of the other classes? I ask this because will you only know what to look for in passing/failing certain plumbing things? Will that be enough? I imagine any registered plumber can take the same classes you are doing. What if you added on some other plumbing classes or worked with one for a while? More education and more experience.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Cookie said:
JW Electric,

Were there classes you had to take beforehand? The course load for Inspecting, I imagine you will be trained on code, but what are some of the other classes? I ask this because will you only know what to look for in passing/failing certain plumbing things? Will that be enough? I imagine any registered plumber can take the same classes you are doing. What if you added on some other plumbing classes or worked with one for a while? More education and more experience.

In NC any person can take a course at a community college for each of the three levels of inspection in all of the trades, ie; building, mechanical, plumbing, electrical and fire.
The course at the community college must be passed with a score of 70 or better. This is an 80 question test with a two hour time limit and will be based on the North Carolina Code for the trade. This is a time of 1.5 minutes per question and with a lot of calculations it is not an easy test.

Not patting my own back but today some of plumbing contractors in the class did not pass and will be required to take the course again before they can sit for the test at the Qualification Board.

After passing the course at the community college and doing inspections in the field for a period of not less than six months under the supervision of someone that holds a Standard Certificate a 150 question test taken in three and a half hours given by the State Qualification Board. This test must be passed with a score of 70 or better and then the person will receive a Standard Certificate in that field. This test has 1.4 minutes per question and there will be about 35 calculations on this test.

I have already passed the Level III for electrical and can receive my Standard Certificate and passed the community college course for Level I plumbing. Upon employment at a jurisdiction I will be issued a Standard Certificate for Level III Electrical and a Probationary Certificate for Level I Plumbing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks