inspector woes over nothing

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Master Plumber Mark, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Its been a while since I have tanke out a code book
    and actally looked to see what it read on this subject...

WE installed a water heater two years ago exactly back into the same flu pipe that was there from the first heater
    that was installed 8 years ago...

the single wall pipe goes up to the ceiling and into a
    double wall chimmney that proceeds out through the drywall and out the roof..

the single wall pipe is about 5 inches away from the side wall as it ties into the chimmney...

he claims it is too close to the drywall and needs to be moved out to at lease 6 inches from the drywall.....
    the original chimmney isnt out 6 inches to center to tie into either

this was done by others before us and passed, now this
    fellow gets a big hair up his behind and I have to quote
    exact code to him to make him go away..

now the last time I looked I thought all single wall pipe had
    to be a minimun of at least two inches away from any object.....

how far off am I , its been so long.....

please refresh my memory...
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2007
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

single wall

It is 6", to a combustible surface, for single wall, even though that is overkill, and 1" for double wall. Just install a short section of double wall at the bottom and your single wall into it. But drywall is not considered a "combustible surface".
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Single wall pipe requires 6" clearance from combustibles. This is from the National Fuel Gas Code, and elsewhere
  4. well thats great

So its 6 inches, I did not remember that...
    thought it was closer to 2 or 3

I suppose I must have the double wall pipe in mind...

6 inches is certainly over kill

Its probably about 5 1/2 inches which should be close enough but I will most likely have to put double wall
    up from the heater to make this guy happy.

thank you
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

flue

If I read your original posting properly, the flue is less than 6" from the drywall. Drywall is not combustible and therefore the distance does not apply to it. Wood and paper are combustible.