inline in gas furnace exhaust: what is it?

Discussion in 'HVAC Heating & Cooling' started by gdog, Feb 27, 2009.

1. gdog

gdog write diagnostic firmware for embedded industrial

Hi All,

In need of some expert advice again. Could you guys tell me what this thing is inline in the exhaust from the gas furnace in my house? The furnace is in the crawl space and the component in question is in the top left hand corner of 1st pic.

Water (condensation probably) drips from it during the heating season. The furnace seems to work fine and it was ckd out by a pro about 6 months ago; he told me what it was but now I don't remember.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. geno54

geno54 New Member

That's a B vent or double wall tee that appears to have been capped off. The water leaking is flu gasses condensing in the tee and rotting through the metal. The tee shouldn't really be there but judging by the exceptional craftsmanship he needed a short piece and that's what he had laying around. When put together properly the B vent twists and locks together and ductape is not necessary Its possible that tee is from a different manufacturer and hence the ductape. It should be corrected or the flu gasses will eventually vent inside instead of outside
  3. gdog

Really, it doesn't need to be there? I thought it was there to keep condensation from running into the furnace. The exhaust pipe continues on another 6 ft or so into the chimney; see pic below.

So you're saying it could be replaced with a straight section of exhaust pipe?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

4. geno54

geno54 New Member

No it should not be there. Would be good idea to find a better Pro than the last one, who understands venting.
  5. MaintenanceMan

MaintenanceMan In the Trades

I'll second that! I'm not trying to rub salt in the wound here, but that is one god awful looking install.
  6. gdog

Thanks again for all the input; i will get it rectified asap.

And FWIW, i cannot take credit for the outstanding handiwork seen in this thread; i suspect the previous owner was prolific DIYer, but unlike myself, he didn't come here first!

all the best!
  7. chas22

chas22 New Member

Don't look like something that would pass an inspection.