inline, course filtering of rust particles in supply line

Users who are viewing this thread

Tim Black

Reaction score
Rust particles have been clogging up the very expensive valves in my Herbeau tub filler. I am investigating ways to prevent this, aside from replacing all the pipes and the water heater (which is only 3-4 years old). I live in a townhouse, share walls with neighbors, and seek a minimal damage control solution.

As you can see in the photo below, I have a little door that provides access to the shutoff valves and supply lines, which are flexible crimped-style PEX. Sitting outside the door is my first try at putting together a solution - one branch of the Y has a screen and a cleanout plug. The ends of the assembly are shark-bite for ease of connection - I do not have a PEX crimping tool, nor would there be space to crimp even if I did. The whole thing is quite large for the space available, and I'm seeking more compact alternatives. I'd like to find something like what the Symmons LL-71B inline check valve with screen provides for standard 3/8" supply lines outside the walls, except for inside the wall and with PEX.

Aside from safety, size is the most important issue. I'd rather keep it as simple as possible and not have to open the wall up any more. I am considering shark bite connectors for convenience but am interested in people's take on the safety of using them in retrofit applications like this with existing flexible tubing.

Ideas? Thanks!

20150410_094833.jpg

20150410_094900.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Can you tell if it is only one supply (say hot) or both? Had they done a repipe to install the pex, or was it built that way from the beginning? If they used galvanized pipe nipples at the tub/shower faucet, filtering there may not do anything. IF the whole system is pex, there aren't all that many places you could get rust unless it is a main line coming into the building, or a steel nipple or pump somewhere (a potable water pump should be either plastic, SS, or bronze, not a steel impeller and body). Could be signs that your water heater is on its last legs, too.

Have you talked to your neighbors to see if they have any issues with rust stains or clogging things up? If they do not, it sounds more like an individual unit issue. If everyone is having similar problems, then addressing it for the building rather than a patch locally, would see to be the better solution.

Tim Black

Reaction score
There are hot and cold supply lines and valves there, however the hot valve at the tub is the only one that is getting clogged regularly from large rust chunks. I'm only wanting to filter the hot line.

The building was built in 1929, converted to condos in the 70's without replacing much of the galvanized pipes. The bathroom in my unit was completely remodeled about 10 years ago. All walls were down in the bathroom, and all pipes accessible were replaced with PEX. However, there are still a lot of original galvanized pipes and I believe they are contributing to the problem. And, yes, some neighbors have the same problem. As I said, I am not looking to troubleshoot the origin of the rust at this point. I acknowledge that the right way to solve the problem would be to resolve its root, but I am not at liberty or power to do that since it is not within my own control.

So... what kind of products are out there to place a cleanable screen inline in a PEX line? (Like the assembly I've shown, but smaller)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
ANy inline filter that is going to maintain decent flow will not be smaller, it will be MUCH bigger. A small filter that can take out most rust particles will clog up in days unless it is a decent size, and even then, will slowly start to affect flow.

At some point, the whole building is going to need to address this. Those pipes have long since passed their useful life, and the flow and the potential for leaks is becoming a bigger liability for the whole association by the day. In my condominium, the condo owns the piping, so problems are the communities, not the individual. By no means are all bylaws written the same.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks