Injectors are all the same

Users who are viewing this thread

jjamison

Reaction score
I've always been daunted by the apparent complexity of my fleck valve injectors on a 7000 or 5810, but, and check my thinking, they are all the same differing only in the size of the hole and that's what the colors represent.
And the size of the hole is based on tank diameter?
So whether it's a katalox light tank or a softener with resin the injector should be, for my 10x44 tanks, violet/purple?
And for my two filter tanks that don't brine draw it doesn't really matter what color they are, if present.
Please correct me if I'm off base.
Thank you!

Reach4

Reaction score
There are graphs in the service manual, near the end, that tell you how much each color of injector sucks. The graphs each have three lines.

I think it is more different than just a different size hole, but that is part of it.

The #00 Injector - Violet draws about 0.17 gpm from your pot-perm solution tank. That is a low draw rate.

Your 10x44 1.25 cuft softener would usually have a #0 Injector - Red (~0.25) I would think, but a #00 could make sense too. With #00 on a softener, you would increase your BD time to maybe 70 to 80 minutes, if I did that right. I have a red on my 10x54 softener. I think a #2 Injector - Blue would be big than I would prefer even on a 10x54.
I don't know what injector I have on my 10x54 filter for chlorine solution draw.

Last edited:

jjamison

Reaction score
ooh thank you this is very interesting, thanks for the edit = extra info!
I need to think about this.
I had a #1 white injector "factory installed" on my 5810 katalox light with pot perm tank, but replaced it with #00 purple as that's all I had.
A #00 purple has been installed on my "other" 7000 katalox light tank for a long time.
I have two katalox light tanks as I have terrible iron and I when I had a single tank it was missing a part leading me to think one wasn't enough.
I also have a #00 purple on my softener tank.
Hmmm, I just checked, my BD time is 60 minutes in on both my katalox light tanks and my softener resin tank.
So I could change my injectors to red or increase my BD time?
Maybe I'll go with red injectors. With five regenerating tanks...
https://mywaterfiltration.blogspot.com/

I might run out of hours in the evening. But of course, with only three having a BD cycle increasing to 70 min would only be a potential increase of 10x3 or 30 minutes.
Interesting, I'm just glad to be learning!
thank you!

Reach4

Reaction score
Hmmm, I just checked, my BD time is 60 minutes in on both my katalox light tanks and my softener resin tank.
These are different uses. In the softener, you draw gallons of brine, until the air check valve shuts down the draw of brine. Then the BD time continues, and you still pass water through the injector through the resin. That added time is called the slow rinse.

In a typical design, the injector is chosen to exhaust the brine in about 15 minutes, and the remainder of the 60 minutes is slow rinse. But not exactly. The amount of brine to draw will vary, even for the same amount of resin, according to how much salt you plan to use. There can be a fairly wide range from even less than 4 lbs per cubic ft of resin to over double that. Normally the BD time is a time that will be reasonable for a range of draws. Not that it could not be customized for each draw time, but for simplicity it is usually not.

But whether you draw for 10 minutes or 19 minutes before the brine has been sucked in, the BD might be still set for 60 minutes. If the brine takes 20 minutes to 29 minutes, the BD would be increase to 90 minutes. I enjoy some complexity, so I might pick other BD times.

For a filter sucking pot perm solution in your case (I presume), or a bleach solution in my case, the regeneration does not suck the solution down all of the way. My BD for the filter is only 4 minutes and my BF is zero. In my case, I regen every 3 days. On the 11th regen, the 15 gallon solution tank has been sucked empty. Every 33 days I add a gallon of bleach, and top with water (soft water now that I added a handy spigot for that). If my filter had a BF=1, that could clear the line of bleach solution, but it would gradually dilute the solution.

My filter relies on RR to clear the chlorine from the media. I have not smelled residual chlorine from a faucet.
I also have #00 purple on my softener tank.
For your 1.25 of resin and if you ran 7 lb/cuft of salt, I estimate you would draw your brine in 19.8 minutes. That is right at the limit where BD=60 might be enough. Classically you would multiply your ~20 minutes by 4 and set BD=80. But that factor of 4x has some margin. So a factor of 3x is probably enough to avoid residual salt taste after each regeneration. If you use 8 lb/cuft, then you would want to bump up your BD time. You could step up to a nice safe 90. Or you could choose as little as 70. If you wanted to test to see if your BD is actually enough, watch for significantly elevated TDS in the first gallons the softener puts out after regen.

The softener remains in bypass during BD time.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks