Indirect Water Heater Leaking

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by larman, Oct 17, 2012.

1. larman

larman New Member

I have an indirect water heater that is leaking from the part in front that monitors the temperature, I think it is called the well. Does this indicate that the unit is shot? Can I replace this part?
  2. BobL43

BobL43 DIY Senior Member

2 years ago, my Ultra Super Stor ( I can't remember the correct name at the moment) 45 gallon unit started leaking from the thermostat well too. It was a replaceable item I bought at Blackman for about 45 bucks. The original had a bad weld or braze joint in it, but the new one was an improved 1 piece unit. It took LOTS of force unscrewing it from the tank, and I feared the tank wall would twist and break, but it came out and its been fine since. the (stainless steel) tank has insulation and a plastic jacket over it, so heating it with a torch was not an option.
  3. Runs with bison

Runs with bison Member

If the tank has a non-welded thermowell, then it should be possible to replace the thermowell.