Increase the height of base cabinets/countertop

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by jstevens, Oct 21, 2009.

1. jstevens

jstevens New Member

My cabinets are 34 inches above the finished floor (they are existing cabinets so I don't want to raise them from the bottom). It looks like they were installed on the subfloor so I lose a half inch with my finished floor. There is no countertop installed yet, but I plan on getting a silestone countertop that is 1 1/4 inches. This would make the total height 35 1/4. I need it to be 36 inches to fit my slide in stove and dishwasher. Can I put a layer of 3/4 inch plywood under the silestone to raise the height? Will it look bad? What can I do to mask the plywood once the countertop is installed.

I appreciate any help. Thank you.
  2. Lakee911

Lakee911 I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)

Finish something nicely to match the cabinets and put that on the edge, set proud slightly (maybe 1/4" or so to give a nice shadow line and nothing hard to line up). Put counter on that.
  3. FloridaOrange

FloridaOrange Plumbing Designer

I have heard countertop installers require a plywood base on granite countertops, just don't know the specifics.

I say do it, either run a router on it or paint is black.
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

If the counter is made with a front build-up to make it look thicker, it may totally hide the plywood you put down. The silestone often comes in 1/2" or 3/4" thick, then they double the front to make it look thicker.
  5. Jeff1

Jeff1 New Member

I just had countertops installed on new cabinets. They installed plywood then the stone tops. Overall they added about 1.5" to the height of the cabinets. I believe this is a standard height. I had to raise my dishwasher to match the height. The stove looks about right too. The face hides the plywood nicely.