Increase the height of base cabinets/countertop

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by jstevens, Oct 21, 2009.

1. jstevens

jstevens New Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Rhode Island
    My cabinets are 34 inches above the finished floor (they are existing cabinets so I don't want to raise them from the bottom). It looks like they were installed on the subfloor so I lose a half inch with my finished floor. There is no countertop installed yet, but I plan on getting a silestone countertop that is 1 1/4 inches. This would make the total height 35 1/4. I need it to be 36 inches to fit my slide in stove and dishwasher. Can I put a layer of 3/4 inch plywood under the silestone to raise the height? Will it look bad? What can I do to mask the plywood once the countertop is installed.

I appreciate any help. Thank you.
  2. Lakee911

Lakee911 I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)

Aug 23, 2005
    I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
    Columbus, OH
    Finish something nicely to match the cabinets and put that on the edge, set proud slightly (maybe 1/4" or so to give a nice shadow line and nothing hard to line up). Put counter on that.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. FloridaOrange

FloridaOrange Plumbing Designer

Dec 2, 2005
    Plumbing Designer
    SW Florida
    I have heard countertop installers require a plywood base on granite countertops, just don't know the specifics.

I say do it, either run a router on it or paint is black.
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Sep 2, 2004
    Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    New England
    If the counter is made with a front build-up to make it look thicker, it may totally hide the plywood you put down. The silestone often comes in 1/2" or 3/4" thick, then they double the front to make it look thicker.
  6. Jeff1

Jeff1 New Member

May 24, 2006
    So Cal
    I just had countertops installed on new cabinets. They installed plywood then the stone tops. Overall they added about 1.5" to the height of the cabinets. I believe this is a standard height. I had to raise my dishwasher to match the height. The stove looks about right too. The face hides the plywood nicely.