In the wall is a standard 1/2" male iron pipe fitting

Users who are viewing this thread

M. Arzu

Reaction score
Hello

I am trying to change a shower arm, however when I removed the current shower arm, I see a male 1/2 connection. The shower arm that I have is a male at both ends

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
Hello

I am trying to change a shower arm, however when I removed the current shower arm, I see a male 1/2 connection. The shower arm that I have is a male at both ends
Is the shower arm you took out male on both ends? Did you break off part of it in the wall? Are you sure you are not just seeing the drop ear, which is female? A pic would help.

Reach4

Reaction score
Hello

reach4-s01049-3.jpg

Pretty common. Are you implying that you want to keep the same showerhead you have, but that showerhead does not accept a 1/2 inch MIP thread?

Last edited by a moderator:

M. Arzu

Reaction score
Is the shower arm you took out male on both ends? Did you break off part of it in the wall? Are you sure you are not just seeing the drop ear, which is female? A pic would help.
Hello:

Thanks for reaching out. No, the shower arm that I removed has a female end and a male end. The male end sticks out of the wall. I was told it could be an extension and to get a nipple extractor.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Its uncommon to have a MxF shower arm, but there were some made by companies like Symmons and I have one on the shelf by Kohler.

Likely the fitting in the wall further in is female threaded and someone did use a nipple to adapt to the MxF shower arm.

I would verify what you have beyond the male threads to ensure you're not breaking something if you turn out the male threaded piece.

M. Arzu

Reaction score
View attachment 88718
Pretty common. Are you implying that you want to keep the same showerhead you have, but that showerhead does not accept a 1/2 inch MIP thread?
No, I bought a new shower head just like the one you pictured. BUT i cannot connect it because what comes out of the wall is a male end pipe connection.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
I do a lot of shower fixtures that require brass nipples, usually for multiple heads or hand-held's, sounds like this was one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks