In Box Indicator Light

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by Fresh, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Fresh

Fresh New Member

I have a three way switch for a hall light. You can't see the hall light from one of the switches. I would like to put an indicator by that light so that you know the outside light is on. Is there such a thing as a light bulb that goes in a switch box?
  2. 480sparky

480sparky In the Trades

They are called pilot-light switches.

Pass & Seymour catalog numbers are:
    15 amp three-way: PS15CA3- Add CPL for a clear light, RPL for red.
    If you need a 20a: PS20AC3-RPL
  3. Fresh

Fresh New Member

Thanks. I didn't find the exact Pass & Seymour one yet, but I did find some others by searching for pilot light switch.

Do they make one that is only a light (doesn't have the switch part)?
  4. 480sparky

480sparky In the Trades

P&S #s:

Red lens: 2151-RED
    Green lens: 2151-GN
    White lens: 2151-W

More towards your needs?
  5. Fresh

Fresh New Member

Yes, thank you! I knew that I had seem it somewhere, but couldn't remember what it was called.
  6. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Sometimes the pilot light requires neutral in the box, which may not be available.
  7. Fresh

Fresh New Member

Does it matter what color light I use? i.e. is there some convention that say red only applies to boilers/ green to Christmas trees/ white to refrigerators?
  8. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

whatever turns you on...
  9. kd

kd New Member

You will need to be at the 3 way switch that sends the switch leg to the light fixture. If you have enough wires you can rewire your set up to move a sw leg to your box.
  10. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

sw leg

Not really. The pilot light bridges the two travelers, and when either switch is off, one is hot and one is a neutral in series with the light fixture, so either switch can have the pilot light. red means stop, green means go, and yellow means go faster.
  11. Mikey

Mikey Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek

But if you connect the pilot light betwen the travellers, it will be in series with the fixture when the switches are "off". Thus both the pilot light and the fixture light will be half-on when the switches are in "off", and the pilot light will be off when the fixture light is on. I must be missing something.
  12. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

Must be either pink or purple if used in a hall unless some other color is desired in which case any other color would be acceptacle as long as it is the color that you choose.
  13. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

I think I missed something too. I have been sitting here for hours waiting on this bus.