In Box Indicator Light

Users who are viewing this thread

Fresh

Reaction score
I have a three way switch for a hall light. You can't see the hall light from one of the switches. I would like to put an indicator by that light so that you know the outside light is on. Is there such a thing as a light bulb that goes in a switch box?

480sparky

In the Trades
Reaction score
They are called pilot-light switches.

Pass & Seymour catalog numbers are:
15 amp three-way: PS15CA3- Add CPL for a clear light, RPL for red.
If you need a 20a: PS20AC3-RPL

Fresh

Reaction score
Thanks. I didn't find the exact Pass & Seymour one yet, but I did find some others by searching for pilot light switch.

Do they make one that is only a light (doesn't have the switch part)?

480sparky

In the Trades
Reaction score
P&S #s:

Red lens: 2151-RED
Green lens: 2151-GN
White lens: 2151-W

More towards your needs?

Fresh

Reaction score
Yes, thank you! I knew that I had seem it somewhere, but couldn't remember what it was called.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Sometimes the pilot light requires neutral in the box, which may not be available.

Fresh

Reaction score
Does it matter what color light I use? i.e. is there some convention that say red only applies to boilers/ green to Christmas trees/ white to refrigerators?

KD

Reaction score
You will need to be at the 3 way switch that sends the switch leg to the light fixture. If you have enough wires you can rewire your set up to move a sw leg to your box.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sw leg

Not really. The pilot light bridges the two travelers, and when either switch is off, one is hot and one is a neutral in series with the light fixture, so either switch can have the pilot light. red means stop, green means go, and yellow means go faster.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
But if you connect the pilot light betwen the travellers, it will be in series with the fixture when the switches are "off". Thus both the pilot light and the fixture light will be half-on when the switches are in "off", and the pilot light will be off when the fixture light is on. I must be missing something.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Does it matter what color light I use? i.e. is there some convention that say red only applies to boilers/ green to Christmas trees/ white to refrigerators?

Must be either pink or purple if used in a hall unless some other color is desired in which case any other color would be acceptacle as long as it is the color that you choose.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
But if you connect the pilot light betwen the travellers, it will be in series with the fixture when the switches are "off". Thus both the pilot light and the fixture light will be half-on when the switches are in "off", and the pilot light will be off when the fixture light is on. I must be missing something.
I think I missed something too. I have been sitting here for hours waiting on this bus.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks