If you were going to buy a new toilet which one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Eman85

Reaction score
Wanting to replace the toilet and I'm looking for suggestions. Here's what we want, a white round bowl standard height quality toilet. We want one that uses standard replacement parts. looking for something that is simple, functional and quality.

Peterson

Reaction score
I'd go with a Kohler Wellworth. They work very well now. They have a canister flush valve though. However replacement parts are easily available.

Maybe a Gerber toilet?

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
I have the HDepot version Cadet 3 FlowWise 2-piece Elongated. It is the 'right height' ADA size, has 'special' finish which is not necessarily impressive bc it really doesn't prevent pee slime (from not flushing overnight).
In about two years, only one clog (and really, that was an impossible load).
Uses common Fluidmaster off the shelf ballcock and flapper, so, there will never be parts availability issues.
The HD package box includes absolute junk for free accessories: a cheap plastic seat (I'd be embarrassed to give it away), not-brass closet bolts...
Sometimes incredible price...RTM $179. in elongated.
I have access to contractor pricing at all my local plumbing supply houses, but this is a great choice at a great price.
Toto Entrada is a cheap WC that flushes as well but not as cute and the cheap green ballcocks they use suck badly if service is needed.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
In one apartment building, I installed 1,500 Gerber Avalanche in the late 1980s and still have not had one call back

I will not install or service a Kohler as I rather have "Quality" than the "bold look"

Eman85

Reaction score
I ordered a American Standard Cadet 3 Flowise from Home Depot. Picked it up and inspected it. The bowl is poorly glazed and actually has 2 spots where they touched it up with paint. Called American Standard and they're sending another bowl. looking the bowl over the section under the rim is really rough and poorly finished. It does have some kind of glaze on it but it's rough feeling.
Went to HD and Lowes and looked at everything they had in stock. The American Standard had the worst glaze job under the rim of every toilet except the Lowes Project Source bowls. I guess I'll see how the bowl that American Standard is sending me looks.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I ordered a American Standard Cadet 3 Flowise from Home Depot. Picked it up and inspected it. The bowl is poorly glazed and actually has 2 spots where they touched it up with paint. Called American Standard and they're sending another bowl. looking the bowl over the section under the rim is really rough and poorly finished. It does have some kind of glaze on it but it's rough feeling.
Went to HD and Lowes and looked at everything they had in stock. The American Standard had the worst glaze job under the rim of every toilet except the Lowes Project Source bowls. I guess I'll see how the bowl that American Standard is sending me looks.
dang couldnt you return it to homedepot or you werent ready to install it anyway? I hope you are happy with the new one let us know I never know what to recomend

Peterson

Reaction score
I actually really like the Lowes Project Source/Aqua Source toilets for $99 dollars. They flush great! However they are chair height and elongated.

Eman85

Reaction score
HD will take it back but now their site no longer shows this toilet available. American Standard sent another bowl and the sent it FedEx, needless to say it was broken in shipment. The work from home women that answer the phone are very nice and helpful so they're sending me another bowl. If this doesn't work out I guess I'll return it and start from scratch. Lowes and HD don't carry much at all in standard height toilets, I guess everyone needs ADA height toilets! Mansfield is the only standard height toilet Lowes carries and it's made in USA, is it any good? After that I guess it's Delta or Glacier Bay in ADA height.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm in the Toto Drake camp. They've been my reliable Go To toilet for years. I even have the dual flush version that nobody liked that they discontinued and love it.

We sell a Lot of Kohler Wellworth/Highline toilets too and never get call backs on those.

SAS

Reaction score
Over the years I have had very good luck with Toto Drake models, but recently I installed two round front Toto Entrada toilets, and they work every bit as well as the more expensive Drakes.

Eman85

Reaction score
FWIW I'm done with American Standard. I purchased the Cadet because of recommendations from others. I received my replacement bowl, this is the 2nd one, and of course they shipped it Fedex so it's broken to pieces. I removed the bowl from the packaging and just for my curiosity I checked the glaze job under the rim. They did a slightly better glaze job on this one but there is actually a section where there is a gap between the rim and the trapway! It was made this way as it is glazed over the gap. It's obvious there is no quality control in the manufacturing and none in how they package for shipping.

Eman85

Reaction score
Top pic is obvious shipping damage. The next 2 show the poorly made bowl first pic is taken through the broken section bottom pic is under the rim in the bowl.
20230417_131453_resized.jpg
20230417_131506_resized.jpg
20230417_131518_resized.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Wow. That's no good.

FWIW... never get toilets or tubs shipped third party. They will always show up damaged. There are third party sellers who will repackage toilets in a secondary box that is foamed, but that is an exception.

Eman85

Reaction score
Wow. That's no good.

FWIW... never get toilets or tubs shipped third party. They will always show up damaged. There are third party sellers who will repackage toilets in a secondary box that is foamed, but that is an exception.
They used a huge box and foamed it, problem is they set the bowl in it's box in the big box then foamed around it. Great protection on a few sides, none on the others. Total fail on all ends, manufactured poorly, packed poorly and then the shipper finished the job. I sent them pics, think that will do any good? I'm betting no. Even if it came in perfect condition I would have rejected it for the poor quality of the casting. I'm done, going back to Home Depot with it and if they won't take the original back American Standard did say they would refund me.
You really have to wonder how a company can keep sending something as expensive as these bowls to me. They don't make any shipping claims to Fedex, they don't want the old bowls or even pictures of the damaged ones. The people you talk to have no ability to make any improvements or suggestions up the ladder.

Eman85

Reaction score
HD took back the original toilet, I have the 2 broken bowls to throw out as a memory of this experience. Went to Lowes and purchased a Mansfield Pro-Fit toilet kit standard height round bowl. it will be a little while before I get it installed.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
In the past, Terry Love mentioned several times that he tried selling Toto's from on line sales. Same problem, they usually arrived broken.

TOTOshopper

Reaction score
Just bought a Toto Drake online from PlumbersStock.com. I'd never used them before and was skeptical, and also very concerned the toilet would arrive broke. But it arrived undamaged, and I think a key reason for this is that it was very well packaged in thick foam. They had good prices also. I would use them again. (If it had been broken we would have been able to return it at no cost.)

SAS

Reaction score
Just bought a Toto Drake online from PlumbersStock.com. I'd never used them before and was skeptical, and also very concerned the toilet would arrive broke. But it arrived undamaged, and I think a key reason for this is that it was very well packaged in thick foam. They had good prices also. I would use them again. (If it had been broken we would have been able to return it at no cost.)
I bought a Toto Entrada from Zoro.com and had no issues. Last year I bought one from Wayfair, and that toilet also arrived in perfect condition.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks