If it isn't broken....

Users who are viewing this thread

RuralGary

Reaction score
Thanks to the Love forum for a lot of trolling for solutions. My question - I bought an 1920's upgraded farmhouse with grey water system, which I assumed was unvented . On closer inspection, it turns out the septic (serves one toilet only) is unvented. The 1.6 gpf head works fine, and no odors. Should I be concerned about the lack of a vent pipe? The house roof is steel, with a steep pitch - and I'd prefer not to if I don't have to. The pipe has all been replaced with pvc, so that part would easier. Thanks Gary

Reach4

Reaction score
The house has a plumbing vent on the roof, right? It's normal to not have a separate vent for the septic, and let the venting happen via the house plumbing.

I presume the septic has been pumped. If the cleanout is underground, and has to be dug down to, take to dimensions to known points on the house to use to locate the septic tank cleanout in the future. The distance could be to the foundation for one measurement, and a corner for the other. Maybe put that on the inside sewer pipe, basement wall or other appropriate place.

I am not a pro.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks