Ideas on how to Cap an exterior cast iron cleanout

Users who are viewing this thread

Marc M.

Reaction score
So I was digging around in my yard the other day and found these two cast iron sewer cleanouts which do not have caps. They do not look damaged but there are no threads on them to screw in a cap. Any ideas on how to cap these?

I have 2 ideas with one being much more pleasant than the other. Could I attach a flexible coupling to the small lip and then extend it a bit with PVC and cap it with a PVC cleanout fitting? I'm just not sure that the coupling and band clamp would seal on such a short The other option I thought of was to dig down and cut the whole cleanout assembly out and replace it with PVC and the proper couplings. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• cleanout.jpg
    cleanout.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 2,238

Marc M.

Reaction score
Reach, Thanks for the reply. I found one of those and thought it may work but went with one of these instead. The clamp isn't fully seated on the lip but it seems to have a pretty good hold. Thanks again.
FEQC150.jpg

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Marc,
were those pipes buried underground? You said you were "digging around". If so, what kept the earth from falling in?

Are you on a septic tank or city sewer? Are these pipes in-line to the septic tank or street? Is it two separate pipes or part of a house trap fitting (like picture below)?

house trap.jpg

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That design works, but the one with the two pipes next to each other has "opposing combos" at the bottom facing away from each other, which created a "dead spot" between then that could NOT be snaked when it plugged up. I have had a few like that and it required a bent water jet to go through the combo and then jet backwards into the pipe. There was also a version with a single riser and a "delta" at the bottom to send the snake in either direction. When that one got clogged in the "dead space" the water just rose in the upstream pipe until it could flow OVER the delta and then continue downstream. They were a little easier to unplug, but mush harder to snake.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks