Ideal dock wiring Questions?

Users who are viewing this thread

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
IMO, to compare a utility to an automobile is totally like discussing apples and oranges because the automobile is like a completely self contained utility and all of it's users/customers. Another big difference is that the modern automobile contains RF circuits, AC circuits, and DC completely self contained.. if compared to a dock that's like installing a gasoline engine powered generator on a dock rather than running electrical wires from a service panel hundreds of feet away... no more need for an earth ground than installing a ground rod to an automobile.
In common vernacular just about everyone uses the term "ground" for "neutral". In my posts I have tried to avoid this confusion. If we get particular about the correct use of the language then we should refer to it as a "neutral connection or neutral side of the circuit".. a short cut is to simply say "neutral (for continuous connection to the neutral of the transformer)" or "ground (for continuous connection to earth)". As a professional multi-skilled laborer I have to know the difference.
Back to dock wiring.. Wouldn't it or would it not be... safest to simply NOT directly connect any earth ground at all to a metal dock? All earth ground wires terminate at receptacles. All wires in insulated (PVC) and all outlet & switch boxes be made of a non-conductive material? All switch box panels on the dock insulated from contact with the dock? .. .this would be comparable to how any appliance is wired, everything insulated from human contact and totally avoids any possibility of even a tickle voltage from the difference in stray voltages, voltage drops and any kind of electrical currents. It appears that this would certainly satisfy the NEC requirement that the green wire/ground be a continuous connection all the way back to the service entrance. No need for epg's, grids in the earth, buried hamster cages, ground rods... nothing except circuit wires to provide electricity and protection from faults. KISS... Keep it simple suckah. For one thing... wiring a dock is the big time equivalent of running an extension cord to the dock. You would not connect the ground wire of an extension cord to a dock or metal building....

As to the generator at the dock it would depend on the type of generator being used as to whether or not a grounding electrode system would be required. A self contained portable generator would not require a grounding electrode but a permanently installed generator would require a grounding electrode system.

There is no way on earth to make stray voltages disappear. It would require that there be no more electrical storms and both the north and south poles would have to be neutralized to stop all stray voltages or gradients voltages through earth’s crust. The temperature would need to be constant over the entire earth with no cold fronts colliding with warm fronts.
All theses combined causes the earth’s crust to have voltages without there ever being any type of electrical current produced by the utilities or any other man made current.

The thought of comparing the 12 volt DC system to a 120 volt AC system as being like comparing apples to oranges is untrue. The only two things that change are the type of voltages and the numbers. The equations are the same.

As to calling the neutral the ground conductor is not exactly correct either. The neutral conductors that supply our homes are a current carrying conductor just as the ungrounded (hot) conductors. In a 120 volt circuit the neutral carries just as much current as the hot conductor. The equipment grounding conductor never carries current unless something bad goes wrong.
The reason the neutral is called the groundED conductor is because the utility connects this conductor to earth. In most cases for a dwelling unit the return or neutral of the high voltage supplying the transformer is connected to the neutral of the secondary (the one coming to our homes) and to the grounding electrode conductor at the utility pole or pad mounted transformer. It is called groundED by the NEC because by the time the electrician gets to wire the building this earth connection is already established or past tense.

The electrician installs the equipment groundING conductor at the time of the installation therefore in the present tense. This grounding conductor is then bonded to the grounded conductor and the grounding electrode conductor at the service. The grounded neutral is earth grounded twice, once by the utility and again by the electrician at the service equipment and can be earth grounded for the third and more times each time the conductors leave the service equipment and go to another building or structure on the outside.
The purpose of bonding this metal dock to the grounding electrode for the panel supplying the metal dock is in case one of the circuits supplying equipment such as lights, receptacles, boat lifts, and the such on the metal dock should come into contact with the metal dock there would be a low impedance path back to the source supplying power to that dock in order to open the overcurrent device thus stopping the flow of current.
This bonding is not to relieve the voltage gradients between the water and the metal or wooden dock. A ground rod will not relieve this current. An equipotential grid does not relieve these stray voltages but instead brings everything to the same or equal potential therefore no current flow.

Even if everything was installed in non-metallic enclosures and raceways it would not relieve the stray voltages. There would still be the step potential between the water and the dry ground.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You know that in a series circuit that the total resistance will be all the resistances added together.
With someone in series with the earth the total resistance will be the human plus the earth and the total amount of the current will be through the human in or out of the water.
With a parallel circuit the human will only carry that portion of current that is not carried by the equipment grounding conductor but if that equipment grounding conductor is cut then the human becomes part of a series circuit and carries the blunt force of the faulted current.
This is basic electricity and is taught in the first semester of class. ...........

I think this may be where our difference or argument is getting confused. If there is a fault current to a dock connected to a ground rod then a swimmer contacting the metal dock does not become PART OF A SERIES CIRCUIT... That swimmer becomes PARALLEL to the return path of that earth ground circuit. Those electrons traveling through a metal dock, as you point out, seek a path back to the transformer through the earth... with all of it's resistance, stray voltages and sine waves and straight waves and curly waves....and all the salts of the earth... if there is no continuous route to the neutral of the transformer or power company's generator. If the POCO had never driven a ground rod this danger would not exist.... right???

Last edited:

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Even if everything was installed in non-metallic enclosures and raceways it would not relieve the stray voltages. There would still be the step potential between the water and the dry ground.

Now that's silly.... I ain't never in my life seen dry ground unner a boat slip... 'cept in the drought of 2007.

I'd be willing to bet a fair amount of money that if you cruise all 500 miles of shoreline of this lake you'll not find the first EPG. And if a compliance officer or inspector did the same thing looking for code violations he/she would spend the rest of his days writing citations and going to court for this lake alone.... much less all the river and tributaries between here and Mobile bay in the Gulf of Mexico.

Last edited:

JWelectric

Reaction score
I think this may be where our difference or argument is getting confused. If there is a fault current to a dock connected to a ground rod then a swimmer contacting the metal dock does not become PART OF A SERIES CIRCUIT... That swimmer becomes PARALLEL to the return path of that earth ground circuit. Those electrons traveling through a metal dock, as you point out, seek a path back to the transformer through the earth... with all of it's resistance, stray voltages and sine waves and straight waves and curly waves....and all the salts of the earth... if there is no continuous route to the neutral of the transformer or power company's generator. If the POCO had never driven a ground rod this danger would not exist.... right???

No that person is in series with the earth
True if the electrical was not ever connected to earth how could it return

JWelectric

Reaction score
Now that's silly.... I ain't never in my life seen dry ground unner a boat slip... 'cept in the drought of 2007.

I'd be willing to bet a fair amount of money that if you cruise all 500 miles of shoreline of this lake you'll not find the first EPG. And if a compliance officer or inspector did the same thing looking for code violations he/she would spend the rest of his days writing citations and going to court for this lake alone.... much less all the river and tributaries between here and Mobile bay in the Gulf of Mexico.

go just a few inches from the water and what do you have? dry ground

The reason why there would be no grounding grid is because there is no requirement to install one under a metal dock. Most people with a little common sense know better than to go swimming in waters such as these in the first place

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
I'm good with discussing the theories of automotive electricity and comparing to utility company supplied power to it's customers. I'm also good with comparing the term "ground" in those cases. It appears to me that the term "ground" should be completely thrown out except to refer to a wire or circuit connected to the earth, dirt, ground... Seems the term introduces much confusion. So, a term should be used to describe the negative side of a DC circuit and another term or equivalent term to describe the neutral side of an AC circuit. In dual circuits such as 240 volt AC a similar delineation is made by saying L1 and L2. IMO, to compare a utility to an automobile is totally like discussing apples and oranges because the automobile is like a completely self contained utility and all of it's users/customers. Another big difference is that the modern automobile contains RF circuits, AC circuits, and DC completely self contained.. if compared to a dock that's like installing a gasoline engine powered generator on a dock rather than running electrical wires from a service panel hundreds of feet away... no more need for an earth ground than installing a ground rod to an automobile. It would then have it's own electrical source and the green wire would lead directly back to the generator without the earth contributing anything, no voltages, no currents, no resistance of earth. In common vernacular just about everyone uses the term "ground" for "neutral". In my posts I have tried to avoid this confusion. If we get particular about the correct use of the language then we should refer to it as a "neutral connection or neutral side of the circuit".. a short cut is to simply say "neutral (for continuous connection to the neutral of the transformer)" or "ground (for continuous connection to earth)". As a professional multi-skilled laborer I have to know the difference. A discussion of all the different professions encompassed in the field of maintenance should be a different thread (more apples and oranges). There is no doubt in my mind whatsoever that the NEC as well as all plumbing codes are totally devoted to safety and health. In medicine it is the field of preventive medicine (health inspector) (one of my previous occupations/Military) that is the first line of defense. Same as in buildings/structures/utilities.. it is the maintenance man who is the first line of defense.
Back to dock wiring.. Wouldn't it or would it not be... safest to simply NOT directly connect any earth ground at all to a metal dock? All earth ground wires terminate at receptacles. All wires in insulated (PVC) and all outlet & switch boxes be made of a non-conductive material? All switch box panels on the dock insulated from contact with the dock? .. .this would be comparable to how any appliance is wired, everything insulated from human contact and totally avoids any possibility of even a tickle voltage from the difference in stray voltages, voltage drops and any kind of electrical currents. It appears that this would certainly satisfy the NEC requirement that the green wire/ground be a continuous connection all the way back to the service entrance. No need for epg's, grids in the earth, buried hamster cages, ground rods... nothing except circuit wires to provide electricity and protection from faults. KISS... Keep it simple suckah. For one thing... wiring a dock is the big time equivalent of running an extension cord to the dock. You would not connect the ground wire of an extension cord to a dock or metal building....

Dude, look at the keyboard on your computer. Two rows up from the space bar on the far right is a key labeled "Enter". Help some of us out and hit it once in a while.

JWelectric

Reaction score
If the POCO had never driven a ground rod this danger would not exist.... right???

Randy

After a discussion with one of my students I have been ask to find out just what you mean by this statement.

Would you mind taking a few minutes and explain what you are saying for the benefit of those who are reading this thread?

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Hello Group,

Lets not let this thread die, It is good, and long lived. (Thanks to Terry and the Group)

Did the problem ever get resolved ?

Real Ships connect to ShorePower when they pull up to the docks.

Not only does it put the boat at the same potential as the Power Ground it also discharges any Static Electricity,
that the sacrificial anode does not.

Look at how boat docks that have gas pumps are wired, They have the same threat as Humans when it come to safety.

And also "Theory only works in a vacuum" , there are just to many unknown variables in every day life.

Here is a question for You, Does a light give off light or does it suck up dark ?

I would like to see a thread on RF, where the Earth Ground is everything, And it can carry big time Current. (Must be FM)

Have a Great Day.

DonL

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Hello Group,

Here is a question for You, Does a light give off light or does it suck up dark ?

I would like to see a thread on RF, where the Earth Ground is everything, And it can carry big time Current. (Must be FM)

Have a Great Day.

DonL

To answer your question dark and light would have to be defined in terms that relate to sucking up darkness or giving off light. In my opinion, light invades darkness like pouring water on something. Actually, astronomers consider light in many cases to be contamination of darkness...In this line of thinking I would assume total darkness to be devoid of any kind of radiation.... so what do you call vacuum?

Want a thread on RF, grounding, FM ... start one!

Last edited:

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Randy

After a discussion with one of my students I have been ask to find out just what you mean by this statement.

Would you mind taking a few minutes and explain what you are saying for the benefit of those who are reading this thread?

Sorry for the delay in replying to this question...
If the POCO had never connected neutral wires to ground rods then the stray voltages from the power company sources would not be entering earth. As I understand it, some power companies are running only one wire but depend on the earth to carry the return current. I've not been concerned enough about it to think about this very hard...

DonL

Reaction score
Hello Randyj and the group,

Very good on your answer Randy. Light does interfere with astronomy, That is why stargazers go to the county for a good view.
City lighting is a big problem. Light Clutter is one name for it.

I have seen the bashing that you have gotten.(Call it what You will, I am not a book worm, Nor want to be.) Don't think nothing of it. Some people have Book Smarts but No ability to apply what is in the book, In the World we live in. They are smart, but contrary to popular belief, They do Not know it all.

Nobody knows everything, Or their Head would be so big for the brain to hold all the information, That is needed to be a Mister Know It All.

The fact is that Opposites attract.

Grounds can kill, If your potential is Above OR Below Ground, when you come in contact with something. Only takes Milli-amps, but also
Voltage is needed (for Your skin to Conduct). A good example is to go across a 12 Volt car battery and you don't feel a thing, even tho it can produce many hundreds of amps. Increase the voltage and it can grab A-hold of you even if you do not touch it. (I hate when that happens)

Ground Loops are very common in many electronic systems. (Electric , electronic, call it what you want, Flow of electrons)
Simply a difference in potential. You don't need to be a Rocket Scientist to figure it out.

A Vacuum is mostly available in outer space, and it is very cold. And electron theory is based on ideal conditions, In a Vacuum, Where
electriciy can travel at the speed of light, But only in theory, Not on Earth, Yet.

Electrons will flow mostly in the path of least resistance, but also takes other paths that are in their electric connections.

Lightning take the quickest path that it can find, And will blow something apart if the current get to high for it to be dissipated. (Heat gets involved)

I know that a lot that I am saying, You know first hand, I just wanted to refresh your memory and the others that need too be Refreshed.

Have a great day.

DonL...

"Theory only works in a vacuum" , there are just to many unknown variables in every day life.

DonL

Reaction score
LOL

Yes the trees do make a sound, And the birds and squirrels say O-Shit, and run for cover.
But there is no one but God that ever hears them...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, you can't measure cold...you can measure the amount of heat (energy) (the less energy, the less heat, the more cold)....similar to light, dark is the lack of light....

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Well DonL... the thread was everywhere from very serious to highly entertaining for me. I learned a little and refreshed a lot of things I haven't seriously studied in many years. However, the principles of electron behavior still applies just as it did back then. There is some difference in interpretation in several things. One being the idea that electricity takes the path of least resistance or takes the shortest route to source. I think that though lightning is not the same as generated AC or DC since it is static electricity it still shows the fact that electricity can and will take several paths and is analogous to stray voltages... and as far as I'm concerned shows the path of least resistance. The only time I know of that electricity takes the shortest route to source is when it is in a wire and that is the only time it will follow a straight line unless maybe you want to consider an arc such across a spark plug gap or getting zapped by an electric fence... and that is also an example of one wire carrying a current or charge while the ground acts like a conductor. Speaking of electric fences, they work by using a capacitor to store electrons and a 12 volt source can and will knock you on your ass when a capacitor discharges through you in which an electric fence does just that. When I was a kid we used to have fun by charging up a condenser out of a car then handing it to a buddy and telling him to see if it's any good.... It was fun to watch'em jump... pee in their pants if they were drinking..

DonL

Reaction score
Hey Randy, and the group,

Fence chargers make a lot more voltage than 12 Volts using Switching supplies. If you charge a cap on a 12 V battery it will not shock your normal
dry skin, Put it on Your tongue and you will feel it, like testing a 9 volt batt to see if it is good.

Pee on a Electric fence and the flow gets shut off Quick. (You will only do that once, then You learn)

Electric fences limit the current, but Capacitors can be very dangerous, If they are not discharged before testing or touching.

You can Light a Florescent Tube by just getting RF near it, with no connection at all. Will light as if it was in a fixture.

Electricity is your friend, Only if you respect it.

Kind of like Human Life and People.

And Yes Jim the absence of Heat = Cold.

Have a nice Evening.

DonL.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
DonL.. here's something that may interest you. Actually, light comes from dark (just like the Bible says)...

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Black body radiation)
As the temperature decreases, the peak of the blackbody radiation curve moves to lower intensities and longer wavelengths. The blackbody radiation graph is also compared with the classical model of Rayleigh and Jeans.
The color (chromaticity) of blackbody radiation depends on the temperature of the black body; the locus of such colors, shown here in CIE 1931 x,y space, is known as the Planckian locus.

A black body is an idealized physical body that absorbs all incident electromagnetic radiation. Because of this perfect absorptivity at all wavelengths, a black body is also the best possible emitter of thermal radiation, which it radiates incandescently in a characteristic, continuous spectrum that depends on the body's temperature. At Earth-ambient temperatures this emission is in the infrared region of the electromagnetic spectrum and is not visible. The object appears black, since it does not reflect or emit any visible light.

The thermal radiation from a black body is energy converted electrodynamically from the body's pool of internal thermal energy at any temperature greater than absolute zero. It is called blackbody radiation and has a frequency distribution with a characteristic frequency of maximum radiative power that shifts to higher frequencies with increasing temperature. As the temperature increases past a few hundred degrees Celsius, black bodies start to emit visible wavelengths, appearing red, orange, yellow, white, and blue with increasing temperature. When an object is visually white, it is emitting a substantial fraction as ultraviolet radiation.

Blackbody emission provides insight into the thermodynamic equilibrium state of cavity radiation. If each Fourier mode of the absolutely stable equilibrium radiation in a cavity with perfectly reflective walls were considered as a degree of freedom, and if all those degrees of freedom could freely exchange energy, then, according to the equipartition theorem in classical physics, each degree of freedom would have one and the same quantity of energy. This approach led to the paradox known as the ultraviolet catastrophe, that there would be an infinite amount of energy in any continuous field. The study of the laws of black bodies helped to establish the foundations of quantum mechanics.

DonL

Reaction score
Very Interesting Randy.

Thanks for sharing that Far Out Information.

Have a Great Day.

DonL

ebob1

Reaction score
need help with dock wiring please

Please help. I have been reading the thread and there seems to be disagreement on the proper way to wire the dock.

My dock has an outlet and light that are wired to a GFI breaker at the panel in the house (100 ft away). There is no disconnect at the dock. The ground wire also goes to the panel in the house. Wiring is AGW 12 I think. The dock is wood, however it is supported by huge steel I-beams that are driven down through the water into the lake bottom. I think that the ground for the lights is also connected to the steel I-beams in some manner. I imagine that these I-beams make pretty good grounding rods. ( I think I read in the code that is posted on this site that metal parts of the dock should be grounded to the switchbox - but in this case it seems to be grounded to both earth and box.) Question 1 –is this proper wiring?

BTW -The only time I have felt a â€trickle†is when the water was high (over the docks) and I touched a metal part on the dock. My GFI breaker was turned off, so I suspect that the trickle was from a neighbor’s submerged wiring that was returning through my ground?

Question 2 is related to the copper plumbing in my house. I am getting “blue water syndrome†from corrosion of the copper pipe. I have read that this can be caused by electrolysis from differences in potential between the cooper pipe (also bonded to the ground at the switch box) and ground causing small currents. My question: is it possible that the ground at the dock is causing these currents that are corroding my pipes? If so, what should I do about it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks