Idea: Sewer leak detecting dog

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
You have all heard about a sewer gas leak detection method that is an alternative to a smoke test: peppermint oil. I think it would be cool to train a dog to locate a toy daubed with a very diluted peppermint oil smell -- the same way they train drug or bomb sniffing dogs. Then add the peppermint oil down the vent line of a house, and bring in the dog. If the peppermint is strong enough, a human can detect it... that is the norm for the peppermint oil test. https://www.google.com/#q=vent+"peppermint+oil"+sewer However a dog's brain is programmed to locate things by smell. Humans are not only not nearly as sensitive, they are not able to determine the direction a smell comes from.

Dogs like the game. It could be useful. This would not be enough to keep a dog for the purpose, but the family pet could be a business asset.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Dogs like the game. It could be useful. This would not be enough to keep a dog for the purpose, but the family pet could be a business asset.

I guess you like dogs ?

They can smell shit, No need to add peppermint.

Peppermint can mess up a dogs nose sensitivity.

Eben

Reaction score
I love this idea-- not to hard to teach the right animal this with a little clicker training!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks