Hydronic radiant thermostat

Users who are viewing this thread

birchlake

Reaction score
Okay, before I let you guys go, I'd like to bend your ear with one more question. This one regarding my Tekmar thermostat.

I was just reading my installation and operation manual for my Tekmar 552 thermostat and have a question on one setting that I don't fully understand. The setting is W CYCLES PER HOUR. Here is the information on the setting in question from my installation manual.

W CYCLES PER HOUR: Select the number of heating cycles per hour.
SYNC = Synchronize thermostats to a 20 minute cycle.
AUTO = Automatic cycles per hour to minimum temperature swings.
RANGE = SYNC, AUTO, 2-12

DEFAULT = SYNC

My stat has been set to SYNC since installation last fall and it has worked pretty well this past winter. My understanding with the SYNC setting is that my boiler would only cycle on a maximum of 3 times per hour; is that correct? So SYNC with a single stat is the same as setting it to 3? Having the stat set to SYNC is probably why I don't see much cycling of the boiler.

Any thoughts on whether I should try the AUTO range for more precise temperature control or any of the other preset numbered ranges for my setup? Or just leave well enough alone with SYNC?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
IF the house is comfortable and you do not notice the fluctuations between heating cycles, more cycles is not a good thing! Fine temperature control may work better with FHA systems rather than radiant, especially where you have a big heat sink of a slab.

birchlake

Reaction score
IF the house is comfortable and you do not notice the fluctuations between heating cycles, more cycles is not a good thing! Fine temperature control may work better with FHA systems rather than radiant, especially where you have a big heat sink of a slab.

Jim, I think you're right. As long as my house has stayed comfortable with only a small amount of temperature overshoot and undershoot, I'm going to leave my stat on the SYNC setting for cycles per hour.

It's taken me some time to figure out my first radiant system, but I sure do love it. Right now I'm sitting in my kitchen with my bare feet on the toasty warm floor while we're having a blizzard outside. It's a good thing!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks