Hudee Ring Help Needed

Users who are viewing this thread

Scott_G

Reaction score
I'm trying to reinstall a pair of 1959 American Standard flush mount sinks (18"x20") into a laminate counter. To facilitate the install, I ordered a pair of 18"x20" stainless hudee rings (sink frames) from Vance Industries but now I'm stuck. While I understand the theory of how the frame works (clip over sink edge, push out barbs to hold sink in frame and then use clamps to fix assembly to counter), I am completely baffled as to how I get the frames onto the sinks. It seems like it should fit but by the time I work around to the fourth corner the frame is a good 1/8" to 1/4" shy of the sink edge. I can't tell you how long I fought the first sink and frame before (you guessed it...:eek:) I kinked the frame. Is there some "old-timers secret" that I'm missing? Did I order the wrong size frame for a 18x20 sink? Is there even anyone left in the trade that remembers how to install these things?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

By the way...I know you all read this again and again, but thanks for a great site. I've learned a lot from reading here over the years.

Scott G.

Scott_G

Reaction score
I thought about doing that but I didn't remember seeing a cut in the frame that I took off of the sink.

As to the cut, is a single slit at the corner sufficient or should the relief actually remove a bit of material (i.e. - a triangular cut)? Also, can I safely make the cut with an angle grinder or should I use a hack saw? I really don't want to bugger-up another one of these things.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Some frames are made large enough that they fit over the sink. Yours is not, so just a cut will be enough to let the frame open up to fit over the sink. Hack saw or tin snips will do it. The main thing is to cut through the "hook' for the clips, which is what is giving you the problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks