How would you seal this flapper seat?

Users who are viewing this thread

ESchmids

Reaction score
I have a 1961 Crane Pacific toilet with ceramic tank. As you can see from this photo the flapper is seating directly on the ceramic at the base of the tank. There seems to be parts missing, but I cannot find the correct replacement parts. The tank is filled by an old school brass ballcock valve and the overflow "tube" is molded into the tank itself (upper right side of photo). So two part question. 1. Anyone know what the original seat mechanism would have been. If an original part replacement is not available, what would you install at the seat to seal this tank? Here is the flapper
A14R_1_20140724579157795.jpg

Here is the ceramic seat

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 218

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you have an affinity for this toilet as a collectors item or a design element?

The reason that I ask is that swapping toilets is probably not as hard or expensive as you think.

ESchmids

Reaction score
Do you have an affinity for this toilet as a collectors item or a design element?

The reason that I ask is that swapping toilets is probably not as hard or expensive as you think.
The house is 1960's vintage...everything is original. It's a time capsule. Still cooking on a 1960's teal green cook top. The toilet is part of a set specific to this bathroom. Trying to stay original but...need this toilet sealed up more! It seems like toilets don't change too much over time, so I am hoping that the fix can still be had.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There was a plastic "ell" shaped piece secured by the left hand tank bolt. It had a "T" top that the flapper snapped on to. The "tank to bowl" gasket under the opening SHOULD have an plastic ring with "X" ribs. The reason being, that the styrofoam float would come loose and drop into the opening. The "X" would catch it, other wise it would drop into the toilet and plug the jet opening. I once removed SIX of those floats from a toilet.

ESchmids

Reaction score
HJ, that's the one. Mine still has the plastic piece that the flapper snaps into, but those Korky flappers are a little too short to cover the hole evenly. Do you recall what the seat is supposed to be? I'm pretty sure the flapper did not just seat on the ceramic. I may just have to go with a full seat and flapper assembly like reach4 recommends.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It DOES just seal to the ceramic and if the post is where it is supposed to be the flapper IS the correct size, or at least I have never seen one which does not work properly. The Fluidmaster #555 kit will only bond for a limited time and then it comes loose.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks