how to use a basin wrench

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by obama, Mar 16, 2014.

1. obama

obama New Member

seriously i am a retard or what? i dont know how to use it. i cant tell which position to tighten and to untighten. and i cant tell if i am looking at a nut from underneath thats attached to the bottom of something, which way to twist to take it off. from bottom looking up, clockwise or counter?

2. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

Counter Clockwise.

Right tight, Left loose.

Good Luck on your project.
  3. bluebinky

bluebinky Member

Here's the thought process I use when working with threaded things...

With right handed threads, turning something clockwise makes it go down. Looking directly at a bolt or nut, down means tighter.
    However, when reaching underneath the nut needs to go up (towards you) to get tighter.
    If you can't figure out which way to set the basin wrench before hand, put it on your finger and turn it :cool:
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

quote; when reaching underneath the nut needs to go up (TOWARDS YOU) to get tighter.

IF he can use a basin wrench WITHOUT being under the sink, then he is a real professional and would not need to ask this question.
  5. BobL43

BobL43 DIY Senior Member

Is your issue which way to turn the nut or which way to swivel the moveable jaw on the wrench? Tuning the nut in the right direction was mentioned by Don, but using the wrench can be figured out by seeing how your finger will get twisted if you stuck it into the wrench's jaws. Of course, you do not want to twist off your finger, just to find out which way it will be gripped and which way the wrench will not grab it, but slip around it. You are funny, not stupid at all.

Oh! Bluebinky already said that. and I did not see it at first.
  6. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

Remember to reverse direction when using a mirror.
  7. BobL43

BobL43 DIY Senior Member

And beware that fickle finger of fate? Mirrors are tricky; very tricky
  8. obama

obama New Member

one issue i also have is the claw never locks, so when i twist, the claw just gets larger and loses its grip on the nut. ??
  9. hj

Then you are using it backwards.
  10. BobL43

BobL43 DIY Senior Member

That is SO funny!
  11. bluebinky

bluebinky Member

You mean that left-right and clockwise-counterclockwise are reversed, but up and down are not? My head hurts now...
  12. hj

quote; left-right and clockwise-counterclockwise are reversed, but up and down are not?

Everything is relative, my friend, it depends on WHERE you hold the mirror. If you hold it overhead then up is down, and vice versa.