How to sound insulate ABS drains

Users who are viewing this thread

Wally Pfautz

Reaction score
Hi all,
What is the best sound deadening material to use around ABS drain pipes inside an enclosed wall to reduce noise ?

I was thinking of using expanding foam around the drains but am not sure if the foam is bad to use with ABS. Is there some other material to pack around the drains besides fiberglas that is good?

Thanks,
Hazel

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
ABS and PVC both are noisey drain pipes. I don't know just how you would be able to use foam, it would have to be encased. I think fiberglass batts would be about as good as anything. You will probably still have some noise that you will just have to get used to.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There is a whole industry that caters to sound proofing. Do a google search. It all depends on how much you want it, and how much you want to spend. There are sound absorbing mats and foam you can use, adding a second layer of drywall, and various isolation techniques.

How bad do you want it, and how far are you willing to go?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks