how to solder copper pipes right up against sheating

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by markrvillalobos, Jun 11, 2012.

1. markrvillalobos

markrvillalobos New Member

hello
    I just bought an investment property and am discovering all sorts of fun in the way of burst pipes. I finally located a burst pipe in a wall in an exterior wall that has very little insulation. The building is frame construction and the pipes are only a couple inches from the old, dry exterior sheathing. What is the best way to solder copper pipes that are so close to combustible old wood?

After I fix the pipes what is the best way to insulate the pipes- foam wrapped around the pipes plus putting fiberglass between the exterior walls and the pipes? Would spraying spray foam help or just make a mess?

thanks,
    Mark
  2. Winslow

Winslow Plumber

use a heat shield. you can buy one or make your own.
  3. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

I've had good luck with a #10 can with both ends removed and the side split. It's not pretty, but it works. If I was a pro, I'd likely buy a shield, but for an occasional joint where protection is needed, this works fine.
  4. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

Along with the heat shield spray some of this product on the surrounding wood. It works great.

John

[​IMG]

Laco Flux
    La-co
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2014
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

To demonstrate the anti heat gel, the Laco rep sprayed it on a $100.00 bill and then held a match to it. DO NOT let it get on the pipe you are trying to solder however, because it will also repel the heat at the solder joint.