How to seal Delta shower valve ?

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by CharlieM, Jul 8, 2006.

1. CharlieM

CharlieM New Member

I just installed a Delta single-handle shower valve in an acrylic shower enclosure and I'm wondering how to seal up around the cover plate.

No matter how I adjust the plate, there is a small gap in the seal on the plate around the valve handle area. There is a foam ring on the cover plate, but it seems far from adequate to actually seal around the valve. Water bouncing off a body will almost certainly find it's way past this. Is this an area best left to silicone caulk ?

Also, should I run a bead of caulk around the outer rim of the cover plate ?

Thanks,
    Charlie
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

The provided foam rings are generally adequate. You can caulk if you wish, but try to achieve the smallest possible visible bead, because caulk inevitably becomes a maintenance issue.
  3. norcal1

norcal1 Plumber/Owner

I've never had any call back issues with those foam gasket backed cover plates...I don't use any caulk.