How To remove old flange, replace twist-n-set

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by weneedhelp, Oct 17, 2007.

1. weneedhelp

weneedhelp New Member

Flange is topped metal ring on top and attached to ABS. The pipe close to the flange is 4" but that could be part of the flange unit. Not sure. Flange is in straight, but badly mangled and very uneven. New floor tile job used very thick tile and I cannot get the Toto setup secure at the Flange.

I have the Oatey 43650 twist-n-set which would be perfect if i could remove the existing unit. It would bring the flange level to the tile and also would not leak.

Thanks ..Sey

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2007
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

It sort of looks like that existing flange is glued to the inside of the pipe. If so, then it is probably a 4" pipe. If this is true, you can buy (maybe rent) a special drill bit that is designed to ream out the old fitting. Once that is done, you could glue in a new one (better than the twist and seal) or use what you've bought. Note, the flange is supposed to sit on top of the finished floor...it would have been better to do this before you tiled the floor. You'll need to do something to support the flange at the proper height and then anchor the whole thing to the floor. See what the pros have to say...
  3. weneedhelp

weneedhelp New Member

Do you know the name of the Special Tool?
    Or a site where i can find it, i will purchase or rent it.
    I was not aware that it was so uneven and low until tile floor was completed.

Thanks for quick reply
    Sey