How To Quick Clean Copper Fittings/Pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by molo, Apr 30, 2009.

1. molo

molo Member

Hi,
    I am wondering if there is a quick way to clean fittings and pipe. When I solder this is by far the slowest part of the process and I will be doing a lot of pipe repair this spring/summer.

Thanks for any replies!
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

tubing

A brush chucked into a cordless drill will clean the fittings, but if you have that much copper to cut and clean, buy my electric copper cutter, cleaning, and reaming machine off Craig's list.
  3. Cass

Cass Plumber

Oatey #95 flux

[​IMG]

Mill-rose open mesh sand cloth for the pipe

[​IMG]

and fitting brushes of which any will work but Mill-rose makes the best and you will pay more for them

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

For my DIY purposes, I use a brush for the fittings, and emery cloth for pipe ends. I do sometimes use the donut shaped brush for pipe, but a strip of emery seems to be easier to keep track of and it's easy to replace. I'm sure for a professional soldering day in and day out this would be a bit primitive.
  5. molo

molo Member

What city for Craigs List? I'm not sure how to find it.

Thanks
  6. kingsotall

kingsotall Plunger/TurdPuncher

7. molo

molo Member

Great video. We haven't communicated yet, but I'm wondering how much I'll have to spend to get into one of these new or used.
  8. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

I'm pretty sure HJ is in the Phoenix area.
  9. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

cutter

Correct, but I will have to check to see if it is still listed. Does the same things the Rigid machine does.
  10. Cass

Cass Plumber

Why are you selling it....
  11. KenC

KenC New Member

12. Randyj

Randyj Master Plumber

Personally, tho' it's a pain in the butt to clean copper I don't see the need to buy a machine to do it. For residental work I hold a piece of emery cloth around 3/4 and 1/2" copper pipe then roll it across my thigh with the palm of my hand. I couple of whacks that way it's ready to go. On big stuff, up to 3" It has always just been very quick to loop a long piece of emery cloth over the pipe and run around it like I'm polishing my shoe... I could do a half dozen by the time I could get a machine out and in place. A few spins of a good brush and I get the fittings done... not a big deal to me and I've probably soldered as many as 100 joints in a day.
  13. kingsotall

I suspect the OP has tendonitis or something that might impair their ability to prep copper the old school way.
  14. plumbingskool

plumbingskool Retired Tradesman

I guess he could use pex......that would avoid all the cleaning.....

Or @The OP

Yes, The best way is to spend time and do it right,

There was this word we used in the 80's and some of the 90's

"Craftsmanship".....That's what gets the fittings clean, That and some good Ole Fashioned Elbow grease

Hope This helps:)
  15. molo

molo Member

After all the discussion I think I might try a drill chucked brush and the emery cloth. I guess it doesn't take that long and I don't have 100's of fittings, just dozens.

Thanks for all the replies! :)
  16. 99k

99k Radon Contractor and Water Treatment

Use the ProPress and say goodbye to brushing:D
  17. kingsotall

That's what plungers...*ahem* "helpers" were invented for.