How to install Culligan seal kit?

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, Questions and Answers' started by arbee, Jun 14, 2011.

1. arbee

arbee New Member

I have a Culligan 812 water softener , that continuiously discharges a small trickle of water even when not recharging. Culligan rep says it's probably a bad seal and qouted $189 to repair it. That seems excessive to me, but what do I know? Question; is installing a seal kit something an amature can do, and if so, where can I get a kit, how do I install it, and any other suggestions?

Many Thanks!

2. Akpsdvan

Akpsdvan In the Trades

Business owner/service and sales
    From time to time there will be a kit that comes up on Bay of E....

Depends on ones skill level.

There is a Culligan Dealer on line within the state of Kentucky that lists the part that you are looking for, but I have no idea as to would they sell .....

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. arbee

arbee New Member

Thanks for the reply.

The only thing I've ever done to a water softener is clean the brine tank. I probably should have asked if replacing the seals requires specialized skills or tools. I have a modest skill level, can rebuild a carburator, overhaul an engine, built my own house, etc. Can't imagine installing a seal kit is rocket science. I need a source for the kit and instructions.

Thanks

5. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

Rocket Scientist
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  6. arbee

arbee New Member

Donl.

Thanks for the service manual link!

No, brine tank is not overfilling.

You may be right on replacing the softener it's 17 yrs old and I hate to spend money on it if I'll have to replace it soon anyway. Any suggestions on what mke/model to buy for a 2 adult household?

Thanks

7. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

Rocket Scientist
    I would not know what is the best, In this day and age.

I think that all the new ones are cheap/junk Not made in America, just assembled here.

If you go with 24,000 then for two people you could get by with about 1 bag or less of salt a month, depending on your hardness.

I would get one with a metering system, that only rejuvenates when needed.

Last I checked House Pepo had a good unit for around 600. I would get something with a good warranty and a good control valve.

I am sure the water softener pros on this forum will help you with a good selection.

Have a good day.

DonL