how to install a new valve body in tub and shower

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by don wagner, Jul 31, 2006.

1. don wagner

don wagner New Member

Jul 29, 2006
    After removing and disposing of my old tub and shower fixtures, I discoved that the new valve body instructions show the water pipes coming up from the slab and connecting. My water pipes come down from the attic and I would have to turn the valve body upside down to install.Is that ok or will it mess up the way the water is diverted from tub spout to shower? This a three handle fixture.

2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Sep 2, 2004
    Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    New England
    Some valves can flip their guts around. If you can't do that, your hot and cold would be to just run the water around and come in from where it was designed.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Aug 31, 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona

A three handle valve has a positive shutoff for the shower/tub ports so inverting it will not cause the problem with water from the shower head would if you used a diverter spout. If you use lever handles you will want to reverse them so they operate in the proper direction. The hot and cold will not be reversed. But, a three handle valve is no longer "legal" for a shower unless it has a pressure balancing unit installed with it.