How to Drain the Dishwasher when the Sink is installed over in the Island

Users who are viewing this thread

md2020

Reaction score
I'm working on roughing in my In-laws new home. the kitchen plan puts the sink in the island, and the dishwasher is with the rest of the cabinets against a wall. I've researched and now know the proper way to drain the sink and get it vented properly.

The question I can't seem to find a solid answer to is the best way to drain the dishwasher. Not that is matters a whole lot, but I am also building this dishwasher up on a 8" - 12" platform to make it easier to use (cabinets ordered accordingly).
I've read that if I just run a PVC drain of its own to the dishwasher to make sure to loop the hose for the dishwasher to fill properly. The vent pipe that I will be running the sink drain over to will be close, if not right behind the dishwasher too. I'm thinking of just stubbing out a sanitary T just like I would for a sink that is inline with the vent going to the attic and connecting to this? seems to me it would be close, and vented. Any reasons to do this differently?

Let me know your thoughts!
all responses greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Dcelite

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.merchantcircle.com
UPC/CPC chapter 8; 801.5: ... equipment requiring waste connections and used for sterile materials shall be indirectly connected by means of an airgap. Each such indirect waste pipe shall be separately piped to the receptor (sink) and shall not exceed fifteen (15) feet. Such receptors shall be located in the same room.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
You will need to provide a 1-1/2" trap and vent for draining the dishwasher. Looping the hose is acceptable in some areas but regardless, an air gap is the better way.

md2020

Reaction score
couldn't I install the sanitary T in the vent that is in the wall behind the dishwasher up as high as possible, keeping it under the countertop, install a trap to it and connect the dishwasher discharge tube to that? wouldn't that take care of everything??

Dishwasherdrain-1.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks