How to determine rough-in

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by jechow, Jun 8, 2008.

1. jechow

jechow New Member

[​IMG]

I currently have a Crane toilet. I noticed on the bottom of the toilet bowl exterior that there are 2 bolts holding down the toilet. If I measure from the wall to these 2 bolts, I am assuming that this distance is my rough-in. Is this true?

Thanks

Yes, it's measured from the "wall" to the center of the drain, or in most cases, the bolts that hold down the bowl to the floor.
    (Not to the floor mold)
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2008
  2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

The rough in is the measurement from the finished wall (not base board) to the center of the flange...

Measuring from wall to the bolts should be a close enough measurement.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

flange

If the bolts are fastened in the proper locations, then they will be centered on the drain pipe and give the rough in dimension. That flange, the way it is secured, would allow the bolts to be positioned off center of the drain, and could thus allow for a mismeasurement AND potential problems.