How much to tighten this connection?

Users who are viewing this thread

sanrico

Reaction score
Hello all, I am installing a water softener. It has the valve pictured below, with 3/4" female threaded in/outs. I have 3/4" threaded Sharkbite adapters to go into it, also pictured below.

I plan on using teflon tape (the regular stuff from Lowe's). I've been searching the web and am getting conflicting information the following two questions:

1. How many wraps of the tape should go around the male end? I've read everything from 2 to 6. What do you recommend?

2. How much do I tighten the connection? One thing I read said hand-tighten and then only 1/2 turn with a wrench. That seems quite loose to me. Can you recommend how tight it should be? Maybe a ft lbs recommendation?

Thank you very much!

The valve:
BY2XmOq.jpg

the adapter:
QMtsnvj.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
http://www.engineersedge.com/hardware/pipe_thread_installation_13424.htm agrees with you.

Of the Lowes PTFE tapes, I would go with the https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-0-6-in-x-21-ft-Plumber-s-Tape/4751309 tape. It is denser (about 1.4 specific gravity) than the cheaper tapes. PTFE itself has a specific gravity over 2. The The cheap stuff has a specific gravity of about 0.6 or less.
Grams/cubic centimeter density is the same as specific gravity, since a cubic centimeter of water weighs a gram.

I got some of the yellow package (light yellow tape) from Menards. I confirmed a sample sinks in water, after the bubbles are cleared. I am also using some Rectorseal pipe dope in addition to the PTFE tape. I used #5 because I had it, but if I were buying new, I would go with their T plus 2. I like overkill for some things where it won't hurt.

I just did about 1-3/8 turns after hand tight for 3/8 MIP plastic into brass. Brass into stainless would be more. 3/4 would be more.

That said, there is a pretty good range of tightening that does not leak. I used what I estimate to be 15 ft-lb on my 3/4 thread on my water heater anode. I watched for a good period. No leak.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some people's hand tight is quite different than others and you'll find that when using PTFE (Teflon is a brand name registered to Dupont, and they do no make plumber's tape!), because it is so smooth, you can generally hand tighten things more than when using just pipe dope. IF the metal valve is of decent quality, it's hard to overtighten things. IF it were plastic, you could split it with the tapered pipe thread and going in too far. YOu only need a couple-three wraps, but on things where you want it tight at a particular rotation (like, say a shower arm), adding another layer or two can help you fine-tune exactly when it is tight and aligned where you want. In the case of that adapter, it shouldn't matter on the orientation.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's impossible to give a specific recommendation, because fittings made and sold to the public are NOT made to
a specific standard. There is HUGE variance in thread dimensions, and also in other relevant properties, such as
strength of the underlying material. It's something one learns to judge by feel, and comes with experience.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks