How Much Rust Is Too Much?

Users who are viewing this thread

Gritres

Reaction score
Iron still seems to be the standard for a high value long lasting pump. I have an iron centrifugal that is about 3 years old that pumps good rather clear looking water from a shallow well. After it sits for a good 12 hours if I open the priming valve to let a little water leak out it is just as brown (with I assume oxidized iron) as can be. Granted this water is less than a foot from the inside of the iron pump, is this just the business as usual for iron pumps?

Is there some sort of care I should be giving this thing to make it last longer?

Sometimes I look at my all plastic pump in my pool system and wonder if iron is really the way to go... but then I remember that pool pump cost nearly twice what my iron pump did and has half the horse power.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks