How does one get inside an Iron removal tank to replace the media ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
The tank adapter part of the Fleck 2500 will screw out of the tank. Then you find some thing like a the bed of a pickup truck with the tail gate down and some 5 gallon buckets and start dumping the media into the buckets, a water hose with sprayer is going to be needed to remove the media and then you will refill with new media.
Off hand I would say that the media is filter ag or pumice.... if there is a point for an air draw some place in the in coming pipe from the well.

Reach4

Reaction score
Some suck media and water out with a wet-dry vacuum cleaner to avoid lifting the heavy tank. I have not done either way.

petepdx

Reaction score
Some suck media and water out with a wet-dry vacuum cleaner to avoid lifting the heavy tank. I have not done either way.

Thanks, found a picture of the brass 'adapter', The adapter threads into the tank. I'll gently knock it loose from the tank's threads.

-pete

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Wow, that has been in service for a while. Removing the tank adapter can be difficult, I used to carry a a large screwdriver, some longer bolts, and a mallet. Put the bolts in the threads, use the screwdriver to bridge them, and gently tap. I also carried extra tank adapters in case I damaged the threads. Most of the ones I worked on were the old (discontinued) hot water 3600 valves hat used the same adapter. I would recommend replacing the tank adapter O-rings. What media are you planning on using?

petepdx

Reaction score
Wow, that has been in service for a while. Removing the tank adapter can be difficult, I used to carry a a large screwdriver, some longer bolts, and a mallet. Put the bolts in the threads, use the screwdriver to bridge them, and gently tap. I also carried extra tank adapters in case I damaged the threads. Most of the ones I worked on were the old (discontinued) hot water 3600 valves hat used the same adapter. I would recommend replacing the tank adapter O-rings. What media are you planning on using?

It's old but overall has seen little use. A good 10 years the systems has been unused and around 15 years only one person.

As to what media, I need to get a water analysis done, don't know if there is a need to remove manganese or not. One brand that has been recommended is 3M MC-050P or MC-050MP (maganese).

I'm totally open to suggestions.

-pete

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Katalox Light or Ferrilite.

The 3M is Greensand if I recall correctly. Not a bad media, just a little dated on the technology.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks