How do you cut clay pipe????

Users who are viewing this thread

Cybermonkey

Reaction score
I have a 6 inch clay pipe I need to cut to put a Fernco fitting on. What would you guys suggest I use to make a clean cut????

Thanks in advance

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would use a carbide blade in a sawzall. Make sure the pipe is well supported. You could also use an angle grinder or even a snap cutter.

So whichever of these tools you're most comfortable with using and already have in your toolbox is the one I'd use.

-Sam

Last edited:

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Snap cutter. Cut off saw. Call a pro.

snap_cutter.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would use a snapper. I have also used a K-12 saw with a diamond blade...

I would only use a sawzall with a carbide or diamond blade if I was working on a T&M basis and the customer was not going to complain about the price LOL

That-L-Be the day!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
T&M is Time and Material
And If I was using a sawzall with a carbide grit blade to cut 6" clay pipe...
Well It wouldn't really be very romantic...
The customer would surely feel like they were quickly romanced in a rather rough way if you catch my drift!
And they would find all their money missing afterwards!:eek:

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score
I wouldn't pay Redwood to do it with a sawzall either :p There's something about snap cutters, clay pipe, and the uninitiated that says "bad idea" to me. If Redwood thinks it's a good idea for a DIY'er to use a snap cutter on clay pipe, then it probably is.

-Sam

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The snap cutter is a fine idea...
Thinking back of all the cuts I have done with a snap cutter on clay pipe...
I can't think of one that didn't cut beautifully...
I'd say the odds of a good cut in clay with a snap cutter is higher than getting a good cut on an old cast iron pipe.

Cybermonkey

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the info. It sounds like it would be cheaper for me to hire a pro than buy a snapper for 1 cut.
Thanks again

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most rental places rent snap or soil pipe cutters - I used one from HD.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The last one I cut with the snapper took about that long but it included my lunch break! 7 minutes each way to the diner... 45 minutes to order and eat... 1 minute to snap the pipe!:D

SuperDaddy

Reaction score
I just rented a snap cutter for $20/24hrs from my local tool rental house. It was the ratcheting type. Worked like a charm.

dlangh

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but I wanted to add my own experience to this in the hope it helps someone else out as well. I had a 5" clay drain pipe that I cracked into (2 pipes actually) as I was digging a trench for buried electric wire. I googled and read many posts on how to do it. It pretty much came down to either a sawzall or a snap cutter (also known as a chain cutter). I can tell you after having tried both methods the snap cutter or chain cutter is the way to go HANDS DOWN. They are pretty expensive to purchase, but I was able to rent one from my local Home Depot. They didn't think they had anything like that at first and the guy finally said "well I have something that cuts iron pipe" which was in fact the correct tool. The photo presented earlier in this post is the right tool to use. I also decided to buy a diamond tip sawzall blade (works like a carbide blade only lasts longer) just in case. Let me tell you the snap cutter once I got it in place and figured out how it worked took me less than 30 seconds to cut the pipe. I did end up having to use the sawzall because the first end that I cut had a crack underneath that I could not see and I ended up with an uneven cut (not terrible, but you want as clean a cut as you can so your PVC pipe can fit right up to it) I used the sawzall with the diamond tipped blade and while that worked as well it still took me about a minute to cut through 2 inches of the pipe. If I had used the sawzall on the entire pipe I think I would have been a few minutes at it at least.

I think you could use a sawzall but even those blades aren't going to last forever and my one diamond-tipped blade cost me $15 which was interestingly enough also the rental cost for the snap tool.

So, the snap/chain cutter in my opinion is the way to go if you can get your hands on one to rent. It definately is a a case-in-point for the old addage "the right tool for the job makes all the difference"

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks