How do I get this nut (?) off?

Users who are viewing this thread

DirtyJerz

Reaction score
So I guess with enough back and forth the threads cleared up. I managed to yank off a nut from the upstairs bathroom after banging on it for a bit and then was able to put it back on in the powder room downstairs. Added some pipe dope in the hope that it will be a bit smoother now. Will order a new rough brass nut from supply house once I finish up some other work.

DirtyJerz

Reaction score
Rough brass nut arrived today.

It won't go on.

I guess I'm stuck with this crappy zinc nut forever since nothing else will go on these threads. Hopefully the pipe dope will be enough to keep it from fusing with the pipe, together with perhaps a monthly twist back and forth.

Reach4

Reaction score
You might want to consider a thread die or thread chaser. But don't cross thread.

Also, check the TPI. 1.5 inch pipe should have 11.5 TPI. One way to measure pitch is with a thread gauge. Another is to press the threads into clay, soft wood, etc, pull the soft material away, and measure.

DirtyJerz

Reaction score
I will probably revisit this when I take the vanity out. The vanity and sink in this powder room absolutely need to be replaced, but it’s not a super high priority at the moment and my backlog of other projects is long enough that I don’t want to start another. The location of the pipe and threads in the wall is such that it’s basically impossible to do anything with the vanity and sink in place.

Once those are out, I’m going to take a good look at the threads and probably use the tool linked up thread to make sure that the threads are clean all the way through. The zinc nut with dope will have to do for now. Just glad to have a functional sink in the powder room after a year.