How do i bleed my oil burner?

Discussion in 'Boiler Forum' started by arny660, Oct 22, 2011.

1. arny660

arny660 New Member

Hi

I ran out of home-heating oil and there now appears to be an air lock in my oil burner. I've looked everywhere but I can't see where the bleeder valve is.

I have attached 2 photos, one of the burner, and the other of the front cover of the burner.

What happens is this: i press the re-start buttom and the boiler appears to fire up. It runs for a bout 10 seconds and then stops.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Robert

oil 004.jpg cover of oil burner.jpg
  2. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

Is your tank inside or outside? Do you have a single oil line or two going to the oil pump? A picture of the oil pump on the burner would be of great help.

John
  3. Gary in NJ

Gary in NJ New Member

Tools needed: (1) wrench, (2) empty can (like a coffee can)

- There is a bleeder valve (just like a brake bleeder valve on a caliper) where the oil line connects to the burner. Loosen it by 1/2 a turn.
    - Engage the manual start on the burner controller (red button, read the instructions on the control)
    - Hold the can to catch the red home heating fuel. It may take 10 to 30 seconds for it to flow.
    - When you have a steady flow, close the bleeder valve
    - Sit back and enjoy the heat.
  4. arny660

arny660 New Member

Thanks guys for replying. I know hardly anything about burners, although I was able to bleed my last one. This one is set up differently.

John - it is in a small brick house outside. The boiler itself sits side-on, so it's not terribly easy to work with. I think it has single line going to the pump. As I say, I'm not very savy with these things.

Gary - I couldn't see a bleeder valve where the line connected to the burner.
  5. Gary in NJ

Gary in NJ New Member

Between the fuel pump (where the fuel line from the oil tank connects to the burner) and the burner itself there is a bleeder. Can you get a close-up photo of this so we can spot it? It may be visible from the bottom.
  6. arny660

arny660 New Member

Gary - there is a nut that connects the line to the burner but that is connected right underneath the burner and I can't get at it. I tried to take a photo but it was so dark underneath there it didnt come out. My last burner had a nut at the front that I just had to loosen and it was simple. I am a bit confused about the burner firing up initially and then stopping after 10 seconds. In my old burner, it wouldnt have fired up at all if there was an airlock.
  7. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

8. arny660

arny660 New Member

I managed to get get a few photos of fuel pump.

oil 007.jpg oil 008.jpg oil 009.jpg oil 010.jpg oil 011.jpg
  9. BadgerBoilerMN

BadgerBoilerMN Master Hot Water Mpls,MN

Or...you could have a professional out to have a look and maybe tune up the oil burner and save twice the cost of professional service in fuel savings this winter.
  10. heatdoctor

heatdoctor New Member

if you ran out the oil filter or nozzle is most likely plugged,
  11. heatdoctor

heatdoctor New Member

have you cleaned the photo cell?
  12. Stephen Suelzle

Stephen Suelzle New Member

Thanks so much. I know bleeding the oil pump is easy. I have done it before, but so infrequentily I always forget. The valve was right where you said. I am warm now and empowered! :)