How do i bleed my oil burner?

Users who are viewing this thread

arny660

Reaction score
Hi

I ran out of home-heating oil and there now appears to be an air lock in my oil burner. I've looked everywhere but I can't see where the bleeder valve is.

I have attached 2 photos, one of the burner, and the other of the front cover of the burner.

What happens is this: i press the re-start buttom and the boiler appears to fire up. It runs for a bout 10 seconds and then stops.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Robert

oil 004.jpgcover of oil burner.jpg

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Is your tank inside or outside? Do you have a single oil line or two going to the oil pump? A picture of the oil pump on the burner would be of great help.

John

Gary in NJ

Reaction score
Tools needed: (1) wrench, (2) empty can (like a coffee can)

- There is a bleeder valve (just like a brake bleeder valve on a caliper) where the oil line connects to the burner. Loosen it by 1/2 a turn.
- Engage the manual start on the burner controller (red button, read the instructions on the control)
- Hold the can to catch the red home heating fuel. It may take 10 to 30 seconds for it to flow.
- When you have a steady flow, close the bleeder valve
- Sit back and enjoy the heat.

arny660

Reaction score
Thanks guys for replying. I know hardly anything about burners, although I was able to bleed my last one. This one is set up differently.

John - it is in a small brick house outside. The boiler itself sits side-on, so it's not terribly easy to work with. I think it has single line going to the pump. As I say, I'm not very savy with these things.

Gary - I couldn't see a bleeder valve where the line connected to the burner.

Gary in NJ

Reaction score
Between the fuel pump (where the fuel line from the oil tank connects to the burner) and the burner itself there is a bleeder. Can you get a close-up photo of this so we can spot it? It may be visible from the bottom.

arny660

Reaction score
Gary - there is a nut that connects the line to the burner but that is connected right underneath the burner and I can't get at it. I tried to take a photo but it was so dark underneath there it didnt come out. My last burner had a nut at the front that I just had to loosen and it was simple. I am a bit confused about the burner firing up initially and then stopping after 10 seconds. In my old burner, it wouldnt have fired up at all if there was an airlock.

Stephen Suelzle

Reaction score
Thanks so much. I know bleeding the oil pump is easy. I have done it before, but so infrequentily I always forget. The valve was right where you said. I am warm now and empowered! :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks