how do i adjust softener after loosing resin

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by 41fool, May 26, 2012.

1. 41fool

41fool New Member

I have a 2.0 cu.ft. Clack WS1. It softened the water perfectly on the original settings, regenerating every 2,400 gallons. Something happened a while back and water and resin flooded the garage. I think I lost about ½ cu.ft. of resin. Now, the water gets hard after about 1,800 to 2,000 gallons. What settings need to be adjusted to make the system regenerate earlier?

Current setup:
    Program code: 20
    Capacity: 48000
    Lbs salt: 17

The softener is 6 years old.
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

You have to increase the hardness setting so the softener thinks its capacity is reached sooner, so it regenerates more often. But the smarter thing would be to replace the lost resin.
  3. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

Rather than changing the hardness, which may not do what is needed, I'd change the capacity to 40K.

Then I'd change the salt dose lbs to 23 and do two manual regenerations with no water use during or between them.

Then when they are done, change the lbs back to 12 lbs.