How can I tell if my wires are live?

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by coopns, Jul 24, 2009.

1. coopns

coopns New Member

I took down a fixture to replace with a ceiling can light. My box is labled very well so I am not sure what circuit it is. I don't want to buy a "not sure what they are called...tester", is there some other way to test those two wires without getting zapped?
  2. Alectrician

Alectrician DIY Senior Member

Turn off ALL the power Einstein.:rolleyes:

Maybe it would have neem a good idea to find the circuit when the fixture was still installed??:rolleyes:

If there are only two wires in the light j box (one black, one white) turning off the switch will turn off the power.

If there are more than two wires up there, turn off the circuit somehow.
  3. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

A simple tester is dirty cheap. All they are is a glow light with 2 leads that you touch to the wires or push into a socket. If the light glows, the wires are hot. These are not high class meters or voltage readers, just is there power or not.
  4. ActionDave

ActionDave Electrician

Heavy gloves and the neighbors cat.
  5. Cass

Cass Plumber

Maybe and maybe not...if the neutral was switched by a DIYr instead of the hot it will still be live...always use a meter / tester to test a curcuit, test it on a known live circuit first...ask me how I know...
  6. Thatguy

Thatguy Homeowner

Testers/voltmeters (except Wiggys) indicate phantom voltages so instead use an incand. lamp in a socket with pigtail leads.
  7. Cookie

Cookie .

My dad and I used to take our fingers wet them, and briefly touch a hot wire. I wouldn't recommend this. :D
  8. iminaquagmire

iminaquagmire DIY Senior Member

Not better multimeters. But still a simple tester here will do the job.