How can I cut tile/cement board floor already installed?

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by sproksch, May 2, 2011.

1. sproksch

sproksch New Member

Hello,

I apologize if this has been covered - I did some searches and haven't found much.

I'm remodeling my shower. I removed the old shower tray, which rested on the subfloor. The rest of the bathroom has 1 inch thick cement board with tile atop. I need to cut this back about 1 inch so I can accommodate the new shower tray. Eventually, the whole floor will be covered with new vinyl, so I'm not worried about damaging the rest of the tile in the process - just need the extra inch. What's the easiest way to cut this back? It was thinking of chiseling it away, but that would take a while, and not leave a very clean edge. But I suppose I can fill that in after the new tray is in.

I appreciate any advice!

thanks,
    Steve
  2. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

Get a 7" diamond blade and put it in your circular saw. Set the depth 1/8 less than you need it to be and make your cut.

It will make an EXTREME amount of dust, and it would be helpful to have someone right there holding a vaccuum cleaner hose to try to suck up the dust coming off the blade while you cut. Ventilation, safety glasses, and a dust respirator are highly recommended.
  3. Smooky

Smooky Member

I use an angle grinder with a tile blade for this type of project. As stated above it will make a lot of dust. Some times I cover my work area with clear plastic and wear a mask to keep the dust out of the rest of the house. You could open the window and put a fan in the window blowing out and most of the dust will go out the window. Good luck
  4. sproksch

sproksch New Member

Awesome - thanks for those suggestions; just what I was looking for!

thanks!
    Steve