House main service question -sched 80 PVC or type L copper

Users who are viewing this thread

Onokai

Reaction score
I have about 15-18 feet run from our water meter to house foundation (underground buried) to replace .The old stuff galvanized 3/4 pipe from the 50's. The pipe comes out of ground right at cement foundation up about 12 inches and tees into the studs. and just inside the house it transitions to copper At that tee there is a hose bib. I re-plumbed the entire house in copper about 10 years ago except this last piece of galvanized pipe.
I need to replace the line from water meter to under house where the copper begins.
My plan is to use schedule 80 with a underground main shutoff (also schedule 80 valve in a sprinkler box) near water meter. Run from there to house foundation with schedule 80 then transition to type L copper at the 90 sweat above ground at the tee a 3/4" cast brass tee fitting with sweat to female thread connections add the hose bib there-then a short length into under the house of the type L and transition to my type m under house.
I could also do the entire run in schedule 80. and make that transition under house?
I could do the deed in 3/4 soft copper but still need to sweat the hose bib fitting in? The pipe is about 12 inched deep and there are no trees or stubs nearby.
Either way I need some protection for the exposed 12 inches under hose bib. I live in a coastal northern California climate of very rare freezing .The house is 3 blocks for the ocean near the Oregon border.
I want to protect this short 12 inches from cold or harm with a string trimmer. I can wrap it in 3/4 wall pipe insulation and add some 80 mill tape after gluing-any better ideas?
I'm upon for suggestions
Mark

Last edited:

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
You'd best check whether PVC is allowed to be used in a residence water supply in your jurisdiction. Here in Seattle, it is prohibited, and hose
bibbs (in public areas, anyway) that are supplied by PVC piping are required to have "Not Potable Water" signs affixed.
Also, if your old metal pipe was used as part of the electrical grounding system, you may have to have new grounding electrodes
installed by an electrician.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks