hotwater versus steam

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Ed from chicago, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Ed from chicago

Ed from chicago Member

What is the difference between a radiator shutoff for a steam system, versus a hotwater system? I've been told that a hotwater shutoff has a small pinhole in the rubber gasket, and the other doesn't. Is this true, and if so what is the hole for?

Thanks very much...
  2. finnegan

finnegan New Member

Where is the valve located? I am not sure what you mean by "radiator shutoff?
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

valve

The steam valve has a rising stem with a composition gasket, not rubber, on the end of it. It will turn off completely. The hot water valve has a rotating sleeve, not a stem, and it does have a small hole in it to maintain some circulation even when shut off.
  4. Ed from chicago

Ed from chicago Member

Thanks HJ,

I guess that they really are different, even though they look quite the same except for the hole. Then they can not be used interchangably, right?