Hot Water rising up cold supply line--fix?

Users who are viewing this thread

Zimmee66

Reaction score
Hi All!

I have a water heater put in by the Previous Owner. Pretty new, installed very sloppily by somebody better known for, umm--getting hair out of sewers.

Installers ran a rigid 3/4 copper supply line dropped straight from overhead to the heater.

I feel hot water in that cold line extending up and accross probably 6 feet. Rising by convection I guess.

What do you think of add-on heat traps? They look unreliable to me somehow.

(The heater is too old/cheap for built-in heat traps.)

The problem is not saving money by the way, it is that the hot water "contaminates" the cold water tap on the sink above. So you get lukewarm instead of cold. That faucet line tees off the horizontal in the "warm zone".

I thought the old fashioned fix was a loop?

thanks!

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
.......then install an expansion tank to go along with that check valve.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
warm

If you have a washing machine, go over and close those valves at the hose that fills your washer and see if that stops it.....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks