Hot Water Heater Lock?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by pcleiter, Nov 21, 2006.

1. pcleiter

pcleiter New Member

I have a property where the tenant has on 4 occassions over the past 4 years turned up the hot water heater to the point that the water actually damaged the rubber seals on the bath tub faucet.

Is anyone aware of any type of lock mechanism that could limit the range of temperature, or prevent adjustment completely on a hot water heater? I can probably take off the knob, but I'm sure the tenant will make due on the stalk with plyers or such. And I can put it back on the tenant to pay for the fixes from here on, but figured I'd investigate this option first.

TIA
  2. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

Being a former property manager, there's a few issues here that need to be hashed out:

First, are the tenants running out of hot water because the temp. is too low on the tank or the tank isn't big enough for all the residents' hot water needs?

Second, most hot water tanks in apartment buildings are in a closet or have their own rooms, which can and should be locked.

Third, if they are caught messing with the tanks, they should be given a written warning and then evicted if they keep it up.

Fourth, If the temp. is too high, I'd be more worried about someone being scalded than a rubber seal going bad. You can buy anti-scald devices.
  3. dubldare

dubldare Plumber/Gasfitter

Umm, whoever told you that should get an A+ for being a dumb@ss.
  4. document everything for trouble tennants...

just take some pictures of the water heater
    with todays newspapers front page next to it
    to verify the date....that you set it at 125..

then make the tennant sign something to the affect that
    he is aware that he is tampering with the heater
    at his own risk and liability.....for himself and his kids...

and this gives you the right to evict him by breaking the
    rules in the lease....

and it covers your ass in case
    he or anyone else living with him cliams that they were
    scalded on your property...

thats the biggest concern I see, is the lowlife tennant
    trying to pull that scam on you.....

a similar story...

their was a landlord in Philley that put blankets on his water heater
    in a couple of properties and his plumber helped him.

They both got sued by some Mexicans who claimed
    that they were scalded because they could not see the
    warning labels on the heaters that were covered up by the
    blankets........!!!!! aint that a jab....

Rheem sent me out a flyer about this 10 years ago
    and told me to avoid putting on blankets because of
    getting named in this kind of frivilous lawsuit....

if you got someone wanting to test your
    authority, I suggest you evict him...