Hot water heater help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Hazel0017

Reaction score
Hi, i have a 19 gallon whirlpool single element hot water heater. It keeps tripping just about every day or two. Its set on 145. I have had the plummer out numerous times and he has checked everything. The breaker is correct, the breaker is fine, the thermostat is is working, nothing is leaking. Maybe you have some idea of what is making me have to red button reset it so much?

Reach4

Reaction score
Tell us about this red button.

wh-reset-button.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
Under the cover of the water heater? My water heater does not have a cover, but our water heaters are different. Do you have a model number of the device?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What size breaker is that on, and is it a dedicated circuit? How does that compare to data plate or instructions on what is required? What do the instructions say about the reset switch? Is it for over-temp, or overload, or what?

The brand and model number would help, too. SOrt of like asking about a Ford when you have a Chevy...things don't always correspond.

Hazel0017

Reaction score
Like this? http://www.whirlpoolwaterheaters.com/products/electric-water-heaters/e1f12us015v-120v/ is that darker blue thing the cover to which you refer?

It seems to me that such a heater is a field replaceable unit. That is to say that I doubt that people would repair them. However I am not sure. Is this a new unit under warranty, or what?
Yes that is the cover. No its an 07 was here when we bought the house. Everything has been checked and double checked. Everything is working fine but it keeps tripping.

Hazel0017

Reaction score

JerryR

Reaction score
From: http://411plumb.com/electric-water-heater-red-reset-button-tripping-troubleshooting-guide/

Read the link for explanation on what the red button does.
"The red reset button or, high limit known as the Energy Cut Off or, ECO is designed to trip when the water in the tank becomes too hot cutting off power to the elements. The ECO is only a manually reset thermostatic switch that shuts off the power to the water heater when the water in the heater reaches 180 Degrees F. The ECO has no other function."

Is it is a 12 gallon 120 volt point of user heater with a single element operating on 120 volts? If so I suspect that you have a sticking thermostat.

If it still trips after turning then temp down then I highly suspect that you have a sticking
http://www.faucetdepot.com/prod/Ame...rmostat-for-Single-Element-Heaters-151300.asp 6900804 American Water Heater Single Element Thermostat for Single Element Heaters

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Regardless of what the "plumber" says, you probably have a burned out element and it is heating continuously. It is operating at 120 volts so it takes longer to overheat, but when it does, the "red button" pops out.

Last edited by a moderator:

JerryR

Reaction score
HJ,

Per the model number posted, the water heater is not a 220v heater. It's a 12 gallon 120v heater. So when temp is reached the only hot leg is removed, leaving a neutral on the other leg. That assumes it's wired correctly.

That pretty much rules out a burned out element and points to a stuck thermostat.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks